21 day aquarium, 3 snails? & possible eggs???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krazytiger74

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My aquarium is only 3 weeks old, we actually bought 2, a 20 gallon (housing guppies, mollies & "endlers") and the 10 gallon (with many 10 day and 1 day old guppy fry). In the 10 gallon, 3 snails have shown up, and are growing fast. I suspect they travelled in on the java moss we added. They are reddish colored and growing quickly. There is this kind of spider web stuff all over my glass, with what looks like eggs? Ive never had snails & thought they would be good cleaners, but I dont want hundreds of them. Any and as much information you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Did you possibly get a pond snail? They do leave clear egg sacks (With white eggs) on many things such as gravel, walls, and plants.

If they are a pond snail, my best solution how to get rid of them is to get a single assassin snail, They will eat any existing eggs or snails.

P.s I got one more question, did you that aquariums that is 3 weeks old?

Tyler

Ok, well sprial sounds like ramshorn. They are shaped like a ram's horn for the most part. I have them in my tanks, but they can QUICKLY overpopulate, which is why I got myself some assassin snails. I woke up one morning and went from 5 snails to about 500! The assassins took care of the overpopulation though, and they are still doing their job. :D
You can usually spot their egg sacs under the leaves of plants, but they are mostly clear so it might be kind of hard. You can also put in a piece of lettuce or cucumber and try to draw them out, then you decide what to do with them after that LOL. I can't kill anything, which is why I got the assassins.

I had some pond snails come in on some plants I bought. I took the plants out of the tank and rinsed them out and threw all of the snails off my apartment balcony. Problem solved.

dkpate said:
Ok, well sprial sounds like ramshorn. They are shaped like a ram's horn for the most part. I have them in my tanks, but they can QUICKLY overpopulate, which is why I got myself some assassin snails. I woke up one morning and went from 5 snails to about 500! The assassins took care of the overpopulation though, and they are still doing their job. :D
You can usually spot their egg sacs under the leaves of plants, but they are mostly clear so it might be kind of hard. You can also put in a piece of lettuce or cucumber and try to draw them out, then you decide what to do with them after that LOL. I can't kill anything, which is why I got the assassins.

What are assassin snails and do they eat plants
I have never heard og them before

They only eat other snails and meaty foods like bloodworms and shrimp pellets, no plants or veggies. I have a pile of them in a tank by themselves. :D

dkpate said:
They only eat other snails and meaty foods like bloodworms and shrimp pellets, no plants or veggies. I have a pile of them in a tank by themselves. :D

I checked my local fish stores and am told that the only place that is able to get assassin snails is over in NJ where
I can't get to it on the #6 train. :(

get some kind of loach they devote their lives to eating snails and can find them at most fish stores. yoyo or dojo they have dwarf loaches that are smaller but idk how popular they are. this is in a 10 gallon right

get some kind of loach they devote their lives to eating snails and can find them at most fish stores. yoyo or dojo they have dwarf loaches that are smaller but idk how popular they are. this is in a 10 gallon right

Adding a fish to cure a problem without actually working on other methods isn't the best way to keep a tank. Each fish added means the biological system has to work harder to keep up. Also, most loaches will get too big for a 10g tank, 3 inches and larger. Yoyos can get 6 inches, Dojos can reach 6 inches, Clowns can get to be 12 inches, even the dwarf loach can get to be 6 inches.

Dwarf Loach, Chained Loach, Monkey Botia, Mouse Loach, Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki, Botia sidthimunki

Little Stinkpots said:

I looked into loaches and decided they weren't right for my tank. I already have a pair of Siamese Algae Eaters that need to be downsized. And given my current bioload adding anything else is contraindicated.

If it wasn't so cold, I would sell you some snails! The last time I sent trumpet snails (to PA) they were frozen by the time they got there, and that was with a heat pack. :(

dkpate said:
If it wasn't so cold, I would sell you some snails! The last time I sent trumpet snails (to PA) they were frozen by the time they got there, and that was with a heat pack. :(

Thanks Darby.
I take them out as I find them but it always seems like there are more there after I remove some than before. I think I may have gotten ahead of the curve yesterday. At least I hope I have.
I don't mind having a few snails to help the Otocynclus sp. and Siamese Algae Eaters out. But I would like to see the fish between their feet. Maybe there will be some for sale if I can get to the Brooklyn Aquarium Society meeting next month.

Back
Top Bottom