210g discus build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
w893d3.jpg

today, reinforce the stand and finish plumbing, fill with tap, check last time for leaks, drain, put in substrate, and first 45g of water plus some plants, and each day after that till its full.

Ordered a 200g storage tank today, I think.

100g storage tank,sorry.

thank DK, its coming along, took less then 10 minutes to move from garage floor to basement stand. 5 guys under 30, most of us (cept me im a fatty) could move it with just two people but hoisted it down the stairs, stood it up on end, swung it around, ran it onto the stand.

took people longer to drive here then it did to move it lol.

im 1/4 lower on the right so made some leveling blocks and my dad and myself are going to level it out completely the right way, only creaked 4 times when water was being filled, didnt squeak at all with a nudge or bump when full.

I put 90% of the plants that were in his 45 into my already heavily planted 52 and hooked his pressurized up to my 660 and at 1 bubble per second maybe every 45 seconds, DIY unless I go 5g or larger brewer it wont be near enough to feed all those plants, I am nudging up the dry ferts too. Ill snap a pic later, I still gotta rinse the substrate and possibly put that in with the first 45g of RO water. Old man ordered a 100g verticle unit and going to run the ro supply to that then down to the 45g heated holding tank we have now then use that the same way we do now.

Its nuts, took less then 10 minutes for that pig to go from the garage floor on 2x4's on their 3 3/4" side down to the stand. slid it on carpet down the stairs.

That is pretty quick, but i remember being super stressed because in my head i could just see one wrong move and watching a huge crack make it through the glass..haha but once its in its like finally landing after a trans atlantic flight..haha

yup, before I knew it it was on the stand, only issue is i got my return for the eheim2080/Co2 stuck dead center of the tank behind it, its heavy to move and I am already shimmed for the most part.

Update

Got the tank moved from the garage to the basement this weekend. After placing the tank on the stand, checked the stand for plumb and found it to have shifted a 1/16 inch. Brought in the clamps and squared up the stand, adding cross-bracing left/right and front/back. Leveled everything out (never knew my basement floor was so uneven) and filled with tap H2O to ensure we didn't pop a seam in the move. Piping is run to filtration in adjacent room.

Next steps:
  1. Test wet/dry filtration
  2. Drain tap water
  3. Clean and place substrate
  4. Begin filling with RO (my 25gpd unit will make this a week long process)

Got the tank moved from the garage to the basement this weekend. After placing the tank on the stand, checked the stand for plumb and found it to have shifted a 1/16 inch. Brought in the clamps and squared up the stand, adding cross-bracing left/right and front/back. Leveled everything out (never knew my basement floor was so uneven) and filled with tap H2O to ensure we didn't pop a seam in the move. Piping is run to filtration in adjacent room.

Next steps:
  1. Test wet/dry filtration
  2. Drain tap water
  3. Clean and place substrate
  4. Begin filling with RO (my 25gpd unit will make this a week long process)

Forgive me for being frank, but who might you be? :confused:

Forgive me for being frank, but who might you be? :confused:

thats the old man, its his tank. Im just the whippersnapper, as it was so heavenly put lol.

Thats the half brain and all the budget, im just the other half of the brain and the laborer.

speaking of which I need to go wash his gravel before I get me bum chewed out.

Yeah, he must have thought you were spending too much time on here updating rather than doing the work. That is why he created his own account so that he can do the updating while watching you work ;).

HAHAHAHA, speaking of which the tank side of the wall needs the plumbing finished, already washed 60 pounds of gravel, still got 60 more to go but this is 2010, slavery in america is gone!!!!!! ah crap he reads this....

Its all good as long as he doesnt have a platter of food in his hands. He has food, duck!

As Steve pointed out, WhiteDevil is my son. The 210 build he is documenting is going into my home office.

I had been in the hobby for 20+ years, but due to a military transfer sold everything off back in '90 and hadn't gotten back into the hobby until recently. Last February a friend of Jr's gave him a 45 tall found during a foreclosure cleanout. Jr in turn gave it to me for the office. Got it all set up and cycled and went to buy the discus from a local breeder.

The breeder informed me he was getting out of the business and had a brand-new 230g acrylic tank and 2 w/d's for $800 but he had someone looking at it later that day. I told him if things fell through to let me know and I'd be there with cash in hand. As luck would have it the first looker bought it along with two 9-position racks of 40g breeder tanks and most of the livestock.

The next day I got to looking on craigslist and found the 210 AGA. The rest is history.

That's awesome!! I'm a former marine so thanks for your service!! Can't wait for you guys to get it all set up!!

Back at ya, Chad. I retired back in '97 after 22 years. Worked in training departments for Alltel Wireless and Bank One/JPMC for the next 9. Been doing freelance instructional design/eLearning development since then.

At the end of the day, when my minds scambled with code, it'll be nice to be able to sit back and watch the fishies play.

SHAZAM!

210g discus build - Album - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

just gotta hook up the eheim and wait for water to be produced, first 45g is in there tonight!!!!!

return bar was painted with krylon fusion. 8 fans and 2 accelerators on the returns. Tried to go below the rim line but with the durso caps installed there was no play to get it straight across so had to go up a little bit. all in all its coming along quite nicely and almost finished.

Back
Top Bottom