240g amazon biotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forester

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I am planning on getting a 240g 8ft tank or bigger this fall and want to make it an amazon biotope. Here is what I want to stock it with so far:

1 silver arowana
6 amazon ropefish
2 Oscar
2 pleco

It would have 2 fluval fx5 for filtration, could I have any more fish if so how many and what would be good, thanks in advance.

That silver Aro is going to be too big for the 240 gallon. And I would get fewer plecos. Those get two feet each and 4 would be overwhelming. Two oscars may fight so act with caution.

Those ropefish may be fine although you have a lot. Maybe you should consider fewer large predators and more smaller amazon fish....It sounds like you just want a predator tank and that's okay and all but it's not much of a biotope lol.

How about only two plecos, 4 ropefish, 1 Oscar. How much bigger would it have to be for the arowana and what smaller fish would not get eaten that come from the amazon. Thanks

That sounds more like it. I would say 300-400 gallons minimum for an arowana. It should be more wide and long than deep. Arowana are top and mid level fish and won't use the bottom and also don't care for moving fast so a deep tank isn't imperative. It should be deep enough for the fish to be diagonal in the water but not hit anything however. So 30-36" deep should suffice.

The only fish I can imagine that would be happy would be some of the larger cichlids such as the earth eaters and some larger cat fish. Generally arowana are kept singly as showpiece fish.

I'd also set up a smaller (75g) grow out tank for the aro it's going to look invisible in a big 350 gallon system. Hop over to monsterfishkeepers. They'll point you in the right direction for big fish like datnoids, arowana, big cats and barbs and cichlids.

Just don't forget where you started! Keep us up to date on everything. But you'll probably get much more advice there, especially considering that's what that site is geared towards.

I'm not, I actually started on fishlore than moved over here then went to MFK but now I have stuff in all 3 places, I just started another thread in the breeding section check it out if you have time.

Crepe said:
That sounds more like it. I would say 300-400 gallons minimum for an arowana. It should be more wide and long than deep. Arowana are top and mid level fish and won't use the bottom and also don't care for moving fast so a deep tank isn't imperative. It should be deep enough for the fish to be diagonal in the water but not hit anything however. So 30-36" deep should suffice.

The only fish I can imagine that would be happy would be some of the larger cichlids such as the earth eaters and some larger cat fish. Generally arowana are kept singly as showpiece fish.

I'd also set up a smaller (75g) grow out tank for the aro it's going to look invisible in a big 350 gallon system. Hop over to monsterfishkeepers. They'll point you in the right direction for big fish like datnoids, arowana, big cats and barbs and cichlids.

Monsterfishkeepers is a good site I'm also a member there but if you look at most peoples tanks on there they are WAY OVERSTOCKED! Why couldn't he get an arowanna and down the line he could get rid/trade him?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Aquarium

Monsterfishkeepers is a good site I'm also a member there but if you look at most peoples tanks on there they are WAY OVERSTOCKED! Why couldn't he get an arowanna and down the line he could get rid/trade him?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Aquarium

I haven't been on that site in a while, but if I recall correctly, some of those tanks were just plain ugly.

I haven't been on that site in a while, but if I recall correctly, some of those tanks were just plain ugly.

I totally agree with you on that! +1... Many of the tanks have so many fish in them its crazy! I saw a 240g with 2 Arownna atleast 4ft with about 8 peacock bass all over a foot and a half, hardly any room for the fish to swim let alone turn around. If you read his comments it says I no longer have these fish due to disease... Hmmm I wonder why?? a little overstocked maybe lol

Back
Top Bottom