25 Gallon Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
We were looking at purchasing a 25 gallon tank. The only problem is that the only tank of this size we've ever seen is in this kit, and if we wanted to customize the tank at all later on, we may not be able to at that size. So my question is, is 25 gallon a common size or should we up to a 29 gallon?

Thanks!

I'd go with the 29 gallon. It seems so much more standard. :D

Isn't 55 gallons standard nowadays? :wink:

Seriously, I'd say get the biggest tank you're considering. 29 is more common than 25, but as long as you have a hood, you should be able to get whatever you need later for either one. What sort of customization were you considering?

What sort of customization were you considering?

The 25 gal was a kit that included all we needed for the time being, but I'd like to go planted one day. The hood/light that was in the kit wouldn't be able to contain a high enough wattage for plants. That was really the only thing I was thinking of...

I'd spec out a hood now and see what's available. Measure the tanks you're interested in, and search the web for high-wattage hoods. As long as there are a bunch available from several different suppliers that would fit the tank, then you should be in good shape a year or three from now when you want to go planted.

I have a 26g bowfront tank which is a rarer size, but the top opening measures the same as the 29g so upgrading the hood was easy to do...and I liked the bowfront look better so it's been no problem.

I personally would do some research in a 29 because it is a more standard size and also at some point you will wish you had those 4 extra gallons.. and then later on.. you will wish you had 20 extra gallons... then 50 extra gallons... and you get my point =o)

Now if the 25 is a drastically cheaper, get it.. but if you only have to spend $10-$20 more then Id get the 29gal

If you're thinking of eventually converting it to a planted tank, you'll save a fortune by building your own lighting. I used a kit from AH Supply and it was a snap :wink:

I'd go with the 29gal it is more standard. But if you are thiking of planting your tank or haveing a larger assortment of fish I'd look at a 55gal. I have a 20gal 29gal and am now purchasing a 50gal to replace the 20gal because my loches are growing too fast! Just something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom