25g new tank- suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuck

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my mums tank that I have posted here about before used to house 2 comets, and around 15 mixed danios/WCMM. Well I finally convinced her to move the comets into the pond in our garden it's not huge but it's plenty big enough. There's now 3 goldfish in there. My mums two at around 4-5" and my original at around 7".

Anyway I managed to get a 25g tank for a good price so I'm giving it her for Christmas. Now since she had a lot of bad advice from the lfs last time. I'm setting this one up. I asked every question in could think of when I set my tank up here and it's been running like a dream ever since. And my mum loves it, I told her it's because I did it the right way so she is excited to get hers done to.
I'm sorting her some live plants out of the pond (will these be ok?) but she is picking all the decor her self.

So the question. It's not going to be a tropical tank, so I'm looking for temperate/sub tropical fish. Tank is indoors and temperatures don't vary a great deal. Our lfs sells temperate platys so I'm starting with 4 of those because she always tries to pester me to get some.

So basically what can I put in a 25g with 4 platys without a heater.

Cheers in advance guys.

image-1192130964.jpg

Tank was second hand and I haven't sorted all the junk out of it yet it's got parts of bubble walls and old gravel the lot. Lol.

Platys are tropical fish. You're going to need a heater.

EDIT: sorry, just reread the post. You can go with some buenos aires tetras, gold barbs, rosy barbs, danios.

Platys are tropical fish... Why not just get a cheap heater ? They really aren't all that expensive... you can get some for $10-15.

I know though Danio's like Pearl Danio's and White cloud Minnows like cooler temps in the mid 60's to mid 70's... If your houses temps are like mine though always in the upper 60's then I guess you don't need a heater as long as your ambient temp can keep the tanks temperature above 65f. Like my bedroom my 27g is in doesn't have a heater and its temps are always 76-80f. Since platys are dirt cheap where I live usually always $1-2 I would get 6 for your tank instead of 4... I noticed these thing do love breeding too I always have babies in my 30g.. and that tank has 7 neon tetras and 8 platys and that's it

Just becareful when getting the platy's I sware those things always carry ich so if you buy it from petsmart or petco eyeball the crap out of all their tanks before hand... Anytime I get platys they seem to always bring ich over.. no one fish does but these things..

Platys are tropical fish... Why not just get a cheap heater ? They really aren't all that expensive... you can get some for $10-15. I know though Danio's like Pearl Danio's and White cloud Minnows like cooler temps in the mid 60's to mid 70's... If your houses temps are like mine though always in the upper 60's then I guess you don't need a heater as long as your ambient temp can keep the tanks temperature above 65f. Like my bedroom my 27g is in doesn't have a heater and its temps are always 76-80f. Since platys are dirt cheap where I live usually always $1-2 I would get 6 for your tank instead of 4... I noticed these thing do love breeding too I always have babies in my 30g.. and that tank has 7 neon tetras and 8 platys and that's it Just becareful when getting the platy's I sware those things always carry ich so if you buy it from petsmart or petco eyeball the crap out of all their tanks before hand... Anytime I get platys they seem to always bring ich over.. no one fish does but these things..

Ok thanks for the warning, years ago when I was young we kept neons in a 5 gal with no heater for about a year, I've never checked the water temperature (no heater no reason right?) but I figured since the neons were ok and the tank will be in the living room which is always warm it should be ok, I might take the thermometer out of my tank and just check the temp of a glass of water left out over night? I will let you guys know the temp tomorrow :)

Edit: the reason for no heater is down to my mum refusing to have one.

Ok thanks for the warning, years ago when I was young we kept neons in a 5 gal with no heater for about a year, I've never checked the water temperature (no heater no reason right?) but I figured since the neons were ok and the tank will be in the living room which is always warm it should be ok, I might take the thermometer out of my tank and just check the temp of a glass of water left out over night? I will let you guys know the temp tomorrow :)

Edit: the reason for no heater is down to my mum refusing to have one.

If I were you don't start with 6 platies.They'll breed and take over so I really wouldn't. Is there no way shell have a heater? Maybe you should show her some pictures of really stunning tropical fish and let her know that she might be able to keep some as beautiful as that. If not I would do wcmm and a hillstream loach? ( I have no experience with them so please say weather that will work)

If I were you don't start with 6 platies.They'll breed and take over so I really wouldn't. Is there no way shell have a heater? Maybe you should show her some pictures of really stunning tropical fish and let her know that she might be able to keep some as beautiful as that. If not I would do wcmm and a hillstream loach? ( I have no experience with them so please say weather that will work)

Going for all females so babies is not an issue lol. Don't have the right set up for hillstreams I'll defo get some WCMM probably 6-8. I'm hoping that my water temp is fine, over here there's a lot of temperate fish sold at fish stores so might just have to drive round for a while. Lol

Going for all females so babies is not an issue lol. Don't have the right set up for hillstreams I'll defo get some WCMM probably 6-8. I'm hoping that my water temp is fine, over here there's a lot of temperate fish sold at fish stores so might just have to drive round for a while. Lol

Even if you get females you'll still get babies. They can hold sperm for 4-6 months so I am 99% sure you'll get them :)

Even if you get females you'll still get babies. They can hold sperm for 4-6 months so I am 99% sure you'll get them :)
Yeah but survival chances without intervention ain't too great tend to get filtered out if you know what I mean, and after 6 months at most it wouldn't be a problem anyway.

Back
Top Bottom