Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is weird so I did a pwc 50% and still have the same nitrite and nitrate readings but my ammo went down yes I have checked my tap and all are 0 any reason for this? I'll be doing another pwc tomorrow when I get home from work

Old 06-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

TBH, I'm not terribly familiar with Eco-complete other than what I've learned from friends and other members. I know it supposedly contains beneficial bacteria which may be helping tremendously with your cycle. The only rational explanation for the pwc not having an effect would be if your levels were much higher than you thought. Since the no2 test maxes out at 5... if it was actually 10 or 20 it may have appeared on the test as only 5. In that case, a 50% pwc would have reduced the levels by half...but half of 20 is still way above what the API kit can read.

eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

are you nitrite tests coming back a weird fusia color thats not on the api card? my nitrite test came back fusia for a couple of weeks. im guessing this means that its off the chart high. if so stay patient and keep dosing the ammonia to 4ppm everyday. mine just magically started dropping out of the blue one day. you'll get it, believe me.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well cycle update

Ammo- .50-.25 in a 24 hour period
Nitrites- crazy high still
Nitrates- crazy high still

Well the ammo is dropping fast in 24 hours I went ahead and did a second water change yesterday but I am going to hold off till atleast the weekend unless the nitrites start dropping then I'll let it go ahead and work it's magic hopefully only another week and I'll be ready to go beings this weekend I'll be getting a 75gal aquarium to enjoy
Old 06-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so today's water test showed
.25 ammo
Nitrites seem to be going down slowly
And of course nitrates are sky high still
Old 06-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so today
Ammo 0
Nitrite 2 ppm
Nitrate off the chart
And here's a pic with the black background
Getting my light tomorrow and just need to find the plants I'm looking for and I'm set
BTW if the pictures look bad I'm sorry all of them have been taken with my phone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-643046480.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	40499   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4109326757.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	40500  

Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok so my girlfriend wants me to make this more than just a apsto tank so what do u guys recommend on max fish for the tank off the bat after the fishless cycle im thinking about still doing a apsto pair and doing 6 neons and 6 congo tetras and maybe 3 cory cats would that be to much for the bio load or tank size?
Old 06-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #38
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

That would work, but I'd go with smaller tetras than the congos. That would be my personal preference, I just think smaller fish look neater. Kitti, kerri, neon, something in that size range. And, i'd bump it up to 5 or 6 panda or peppered cories.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok well then scratch the congo and instead of neons im thinking 6 Cardinal Tetra and 5 Sterbai Cory and 6 Golden Pristella Tetra and a few hatchet tetras
what do ya think and should i add all at once after this is done cycleing or do a few at a time?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #40
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I wouldn't do it all at once, but the amount of ammonia you use to cycle will determine how many at first. If you do 4ppm, I would add the apistos and tetras, then wait for a month or so until the tank gets established and add the cories. that'll give you a good baseline on your water results too, so you might need to reduce that number a bit if your nitrate is on the higher side.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
project

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com