29 gal set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nigel227

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently set up my tank again I'm now trying to figure out how to stock it. I let it cycle for a couple weeks (no fish) and then added a couple red eye tetras to see how they'd do. Everyone is still alive and doing well so I feel fairly comfortable with adding a couple more.

I would like to have mainly barbs (tigers and green tigers) but with a couple standout individuals as well. I just need to know what will go best with a school of barbs since they can be semi-aggressive.

My thoughts:
Gouramis?
Sharks? Bala or rainbow
Rainbows?
Any other tetras?

Any opinions on types and quantities would be greatly appreciated

Letting the tank run empty doesn't cycle it I'm afraid. Two redeye tetras in a 29 won't be adding much ammonia so it's probably ok now; as you add more fish the toxins are going to rise. Give this a read: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

And this: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

As you know Tiger barbs are pretty aggressive and do best in a species only tank or in a very large tank plus they need large numbers to mitigate aggression. A 29 could probably house 6-8 barbs but probably nothing else. How set are you on the Tigers? A 29 gal is a pretty good size tank and you could have a nice variety of peaceful community fish if you rejected the barb idea.

No sharks in a 29. :)

So for example if you didn't get the tigers, you could do something like:

8 red eye tetra (they should be in a larger group than 2)
1 dwarf or sparkling gourami (don't get the larger type like Kissing)
4-6 small Corys (panda, hasbrosus, hastus or pygmaeus)

Of course keep in mind the tank is still cycling, so add new fish slowly and test the water daily and do water changes as needed. If you get the gourami add it last.

boadams87 said:
How did you cycle it with no fish? Are you testing your water?

I followed the "fish less cycling guide" here on AA by adding ACE hardware ammonia. I test the water with the API freshwater master kit and didn't add any fish until I started seeing the ammonia level drop and the nitrates rising.

boadams87 said:
Ok sounds good. You should wait until ur ammonia and nitrite are 0!

I know. That's why I haven't added anything else yet :) I was just wondering if anything else could get along with barbs or not

I would also like to have a Pleco in there at some point too but I know some are expensive and get HUGE. what would be a good type to look at that will stay relatively small and won't break the bank?

Nigel227 said:
I would also like to have a Pleco in there at some point too but I know some are expensive and get HUGE. what would be a good type to look at that will stay relatively small and won't break the bank?

The L200(green phantom ) is a nice pleco. I've got longfin albino bristlenose

I like the clown pleco. I'm currently building a tunnel for him to hide in and that'll take about a week to be fully ready. I'll have to make sure all the water testing looks good and then I'll start adding some fish

Here it is so far. My barbs apparently love the camera haha. Came right up to the glass for a close up.

Attachments

• image-2322544378.jpg
    image-2322544378.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 57
  • image-1383493251.jpg
    image-1383493251.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom