29 gal stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

segrayson

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been researching a stocking plan for my 29 gallon planted tank for several weeks now. It seems that the more I research, the more indecisive I become!!! I am doing a fishless cycle so I have some time to figure this out. I would like to have 6 Julii corys and two small schools of shoaling fish, (and possibly a lone larger fish) but I am completely confused about what species to go with. I originally liked Mosquito Rasboras and Celestial Pearl Danios, but I have read some information saying that the CPDs should be in a species tank and that the Mosquito Rasboras need to be kept with other tiny fish so they won’t be eaten. I want something colorful and fun to watch, but I am really concerned about doing this the right way so that I don’t overstock and have the right tank conditions for the whole community. Someone please help me with ideas!
Sarah

Tetras are always good school fish to have, plus there are all kind of tetras, I liked the rummy nose, but they are a kittle bit shy, cardinal tetras are good also, black skirt tetras.

I have been researching a stocking plan for my 29 gallon planted tank for several weeks now. It seems that the more I research, the more indecisive I become!!! I am doing a fishless cycle so I have some time to figure this out. I would like to have 6 Julii corys and two small schools of shoaling fish, (and possibly a lone larger fish) but I am completely confused about what species to go with. I originally liked Mosquito Rasboras and Celestial Pearl Danios, but I have read some information saying that the CPDs should be in a species tank and that the Mosquito Rasboras need to be kept with other tiny fish so they won’t be eaten. I want something colorful and fun to watch, but I am really concerned about doing this the right way so that I don’t overstock and have the right tank conditions for the whole community. Someone please help me with ideas!
Sarah

Here is a great site to help you not over stock. It will do by juvinile size or adult. Just plug in the type of tank filter and fish boom you will have your answer.

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Celestial Pearl Danios are a little shy but if you have a big enough group you'd be fine keeping them with other fish. Mosquito Rasboras would do well with CPDs because they aren't big enough to intimidate them. And the CPDs aren't big enough to eat the Rasboras. I've kept CPDs with another micro rasbora type and they lived great together. The Cories shouldn't bother either one of those.

I would go with 10 CPDs and 15 Mosquito Rasboras. Sounds like alot until you see how small they both are. :) With those 2 species you really don't want small groups.

The problem might be finding a lone larger fish to put with those...although I don't think a Ram or Apisto would bother full grown Rasboras. I wouldn't go larger than those.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom