29 gal tank, cycling, rainbowfish, night lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coyotesweat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hiya fishie experts! Just getting my 29 gal up and running again, used to have a community tank and also bred bettas in 10 gals.

Am cycling it with 4 rosey red minnows, and have added several live plants.

I'm planning to get a 4-6 of the smaller rainbowfish, and maybe a small bottom feeder as well for cleanup. Any recommendations? The dwarf Praecox Rainbowfish wouldn't be right, as this area has very alkaline water, and I don't want to mess with trying to change the local PH. Looking for some easy-keepers that get in the 2-3 inch range, so I can keep several. 6" would be too big for this tank.

Since the tank is now in the kitchen of our new (old) house, would it be harmful to the fish to keep the light on at night for a nightlight, or should I turn it off at night? (fluorescent light, tank is one of the "tall" 29 gals, I think 24 x 12 x 24).

Any other suggestions? I won't be adding the rainbowfish for a week or so, until the water has cleared and the filter has seeded nicely. (the rosy reds are TOUGH... have several outside in my container gardens eating the mosquito larvae...no filtration for them, no heater, water currently in the 90 plus range and they're thriving little piggies in there with the plants).

Thanks! My previous community tank had platies, danios, a pleco that got HUGE, and some betta girls. Always wanted the rainbowfish, though...

coyotesweat

Welcome to AA! Do you have a water parameter testing kit? If not I'd recommend getting a liquid test kit. That way you will be able to tell when your cycle is done and it is safe to add more fish. I wouldn't add anymore fish until your cycle is done. I'd turn the light off at night to give the fish a break. Once again welcome to AA.

Oops, after looking at your planted tank stuff, I probably don't have enough light for live plants :(.

I have the standard 20 watt bulb that came with tank. Oh well, the plants can go happily out in my container gardens for now, and I can put the durn plastic ones in instead. if they start looking poorly, I'll transplant 'em before they croak. Sigh.

(the rosy reds outside will be delighted though...they'll take all the plants the can get. Might have to start container garden number 3 soon...).

Sniff. Oh, and btw, have power sponge filter. Worked well when I used it before... No idea what make, but it was rated for this size tank.

Coyotesweat

A planted tank dosn't have to have $100 worth of plants or be "lush" to be an eye poper :) Just carefully chose the plants you want and put forthought into the layout and it will be outstanding.

cool, at least the hornwort may survive... durn if I can remember the names of the other two... (one was the unnamed one from the container garden, but it did well all the way to the bottom of a fairly deep, dark colored container... I'll just see what they do, if they live, terrific. if they start to die, I'll put 'em outside and try some of the low-light ones. Now, I just wait for tank to cycle and plants to live...or die. The rosies are happy though!

Coyote

try the celebes rainbows. Really cool looking fineage and a collage of colors too. They really like to show off and flair which makes them look totally different. Also the dwarf neon rainbows are pretty nice too. both should stay under the 3" range. Good luck with it!

I have several celebes rainbows and think they are the coolest. They really stick together and attack food like crazy. Every turn they make shows a variation in their colors. They seem to like the middle of my tank best, but actively patrol the entire tank. Skunk Botias seem pretty cool for a scavenger. Mine is new and full of personality and attitude.

Back
Top Bottom