29 Gallon Planted Build...Advice Appreciated!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok pictures are here! Pardon the cloudy water, by tomorrow morning everything should be back to what the the before picture is

Before

After #1

After #2

When I go to the lfs tomorrow I am going to look for 3 things- pangio kuhlii, ludwigia sp. Red, and moneywort. Ludwigia will replace the crypts, and the crypts will go infront of the wisteria kitty corner to the s. Repens. Moneywort right behind the star repens.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Love the "after" pics. Much less competition visually. Also looks to be a sweet setup. Hope your lfs has what you want!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

I know I'm a little behind, but I got some water lettuce from Fresh and that stuff is awesome, thriving well and pretty sturdy. I've also have good luck with giant salvinia in another tank with a relatively strong HOB flow.

I know I'm a little behind, but I got some water lettuce from Fresh and that stuff is awesome, thriving well and pretty sturdy. I've also have good luck with giant salvinia in another tank with a relatively strong HOB flow.

Water lettuce is illegal in the Great Lakes states :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

http://plants.usda.gov/java/noxComposite
According to that link the symbol "Pist2" for water lettuce is legal in Illinois. Conflicting information is no fun.

Edit- Decided to postpone the lfs trip to tomorrow. My mom is having me drive to Chicago tomorrow to pick up the Fat Tuesday pastry (poonchki?? I completely butchered that i think) just going to head to the lfs when I am down that way tomorrow. No wasting gas that way.

Just read through all of this! Great transformation! You are way ahead of me on the planted tank.
Following now,

Just read through all of this! Great transformation! You are way ahead of me on the planted tank.
Following now,

Now you see why your tank looks way better than mine when I first posted a picture lol

Thanks for the compliment and following.

Your tank will be moving along with the help from everyone here

Guess I have to pay more attention. Looks like salvinia is probably illegal at least in Texas. Blah. Sorry guys.

Guess I have to pay more attention. Looks like salvinia is probably illegal at least in Texas. Blah. Sorry guys.

If you follow the other build threads like me keeping everything straight can be difficult!

On a side note my 4 otos love playing games...with me! I count 4 yesterday or Saturday, and today I could only find 3 for 10 minutes. I was looking at every spot I normally find them at but no luck. Finally the 4th one moved out of hiding somewhere and I found him.
Also thinking of adding some pvc caves for the future kuhlies and the current shrimp. Just thought of the idea while looking for otos so I will post more plans later.

I love that you actually have so much going on that you have to look for your friends. lol hilarious.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ps. you were totally right about the wisteria. I changed my lighting yesterday and they are literally reaching for it. I thought that was so cool. All of my plants are at attention now.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1424141973517.jpg
    1424141973517.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 59
Everything is thick in the two corners so I don't know if they are just hiding or what. Sometimes they also eat the algae on my dw, so many spots for them to fit in looking in each one is hard.

With the most up-to-date information I have found alot of floating plants are illegal. https://www.michigan.gov/documents/deq/wrd-ais-regulated-species_390473_7.pdf

Back from the lfs.

Bought ludwigia sp red and 1 assassin snail for the 10 gallon. Also picked up 2 baby MTS, at least I think they are MTS. They are really tiny but have pointier shells than the baby pond snails.

Need some help on the ludwigia placement. I was thinking about moving the crypts to the space between the star repens and wisteria, and the ludwigia would go where the crypts where.
Now I am thinking keep the crypts where thet are because their roots system is touching the bottom glass, and use the ludwigia as a "border" between the wisteria and star repens.

I would leave crypts where the are. Partially because the roots are everywhere and it will be a pain to move. Also, they don't like to be moved (sometimes they melt).If you do, you can trim the roots back instead of having to replant all of them. They typically grow to a certain height and level off.
I would put the Ludwigia in the back. It can get quite tall. Perfect for filling in the back wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom