29 Gallon Planted Build...Advice Appreciated!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will give the veggie wafers a go. If I spotted the snail I would scoop him out but he is either really good at hiding or crawled out.

Edit: Just got off phone with lfs. I'm getting my kuhli loaches tomorrow! They got 5 or 6 in today or yesterday and 3 will be coming home with me tomorrow :D:D:dance::dance: so good things come to those who wait right? Going to do water change tonight and prep the QT tank for inhabitants.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Weekly update time-

I found the missing assassin snail in the 10 gallon. He was buried almost an inch into the sand so that would explain my trouble finding him.
I moved the bacopa caroliniana and water wisteria to give the bacopa some more room and more light.
The ludwigia was given a nice trimming, and I noticed right under the light it was starting to turn red. I'm going to take brooksters advice and use a CFL spotlight to really bring out the red.
When I got home with the new kuhlies one was unfortunately dead. I called the lfs and they will replace it no questions asked which is nice. These loaches are alot bigger than the others like 2 inches bigger!
Of the two original loaches I have only been seeing one at a time, so I really hope the second one isn't dead.
I tested phosphates again yesterday prior to my water change, and they look like 1-2ppm (see picture below)
Also tested pH and it came back at 7.1, and that seems low because a few weeks ago my pH was 7.5.

That's everything now pictures.

FTS(taken with my dads iphone and its much better than my phone)

1-2ppm right? I dosed every day but one because I forgot. 3mL marcos minus KNO3 and 3mL Plantex CSM+B are my daily dosings. For weights I just used what the GLA blog reccomended.

Yes, I'd say 1-2 ppm phosphate.
Tank looks good and you've made great strides since starting this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! Really means alot coming from you.
Next week I'll test the phosphates again to see if the levels change and how much.
One other thing itd really easy to make big strides from the first picture in the thread lol

And then there was one...lost another kuhli overnight. Going to call lfs this afternoon about it, but soonest I can get down is Sunday.

Little high on the co2? Thats 35 minutes before the lights/co2 turn off, and roughly 6.5 hours after the light/co2 turned on.

Talked to the lfs and they think the fish didn't like the move. Asked me about pH and last water change which both checked out, either way they will be replaced asap.

I'm going to try and add the spot light tomorrow afternoon, i have my graduation party in mid June, and want the tank looking alot better.

Any ID on this algae? Slimy, green, and flat are the physical characteristics. Kinda like a slimy latex glove on the leaf and some stems.

I skimmed through all the posts after this, sorry if someone addressed this one already. But it looks like you have BGA (aka: cyanobacteria). Is it still there?

Yes...thats what I thought it was but the pictures I saw had it as more blue.

Would a 4 day blackout be the easiest treatment option or would meds like erythromycin be more efficient?

Edit-If I remember correctly from the quick glance i took at the tank yesterday the cyanobacteria was on the following plants: little on the ludwigia, little on the blyxa, a little on the anacharis, and maybe some on the bacopa.
After some online research I think I'm going to try the API erythromycin, it seems black outs don't work and the meds are the best option.

Yes...thats what I thought it was but the pictures I saw had it as more blue.

Would a 4 day blackout be the easiest treatment option or would meds like erythromycin be more efficient?

I prefer the Erythromycin route. Water change, dose for 5 days, wait 5 more days, big water change. During the 5 days after dosing the antibiotic is still active and the BGA will continue to die off.

I prefer the Erythromycin route. Water change, dose for 5 days, wait 5 more days, big water change. During the 5 days after dosing the antibiotic is still active and the BGA will continue to die off.

Is that for the API tabs? By big water change do you mean like 60-75% or 50%?

Ok thanks I'll try and get them asap, looked at the ludwigia and one stem had a tiny bit of BGA on it.

I'm ending my topless venture. I can't find either of the two kuhlies in the tank since Tuesday afternoon. Think they jumped and my dogs ate them. Have checked in the blyxa which is where I would always find one and nada.

Edit: just found one of the loaches. Lights off and he was in the stars. If I go to the lfs on Sunday I'll get 4 incase the second one I had/have is dead.

Can someone confirm that this is 2ppm or a little over?

I dosed the standard 1mL per 10 gallons of PPS-PRO and still can't get above this level.

Can someone confirm that this is 2ppm or a little over?

I dosed the standard 1mL per 10 gallons of PPS-PRO and still can't get above this level.

Seems to be 2ppm if not a little higher.

20L Mafia

Is 2ppm phosphates enough or should I try for more?

Edit: I'm asking because my DC is lime green, my lighting should be enough, and the green hair algae that started on the heater is spreading. Not sure what to adjust to fix it...

Here are some pictures of the algae

If you zoom in you can see a lot of neons out. Never seen this many out at one time.

Going to run to petsmart tomorrow after school amd get the API erythromycin so I can start that treatment.

I'll post a weekly update/fts tomorrow
Thats my dad probably 20 years ago not me

Weekly update

Added the 23watt spotlight to right above the ludwigia.

Today I spot treated with h2o2 on the hair algae. Going to treat again tomorrow.

Also started the cyano treatment today. Have 3 weeks to get the tank looking really good. I want it to my liking and I shouldn't compare it to some of you *cough tiger brookster and fresh cough* but I can dream right? Lol

FTS

I think thats all for last week

What are talking about? Your tank looks good.
About the CFL, I had it over my Limno for a few days but noticed that the new leaves on the Ludwigia sp red appeared a bit shriveled. I'm thinking not enough CO2 for the amount of light. The Ludwigia grows fast anyhow. So I moved it back over the pogo and Rotala macrandra.
Not sure if the H2O2 will impact the effectiveness of the erythromycin. Just something to think about.
The erythromycin treatment should take no more than 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom