29 Gallon Startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jodibug

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am a very new fish tank owner and am learning a lot as I go. My goal is to make the fish I currently have as happy as possible while not overloading my tank. I have a 29 gallon tank with a 75 gallon bio wheel filter. Right now I have in the tank:
1 rainbow shark
1 blue dwarf gourami
1 ghost catfish
1 albino fancy shirt tetra

I've learned that both the tetra and catfish are schooling fish and I'm trying to figure out how many more I can add of each to keep them happy and not overload. Following the 1 inch per gallon rule, which I've read is not the best rule to follow (which is why I'm here), I was thinking of getting 3 more fancy skirt tetras (1 more albino and 2 black) and 2 more catfish. I know both fish would probably like to be in schools of six, but I don't think my system can support that many more fish, or can it since the filter is for a tank double the size?
Next question is which should I get first, more catfish or more tetras? From what I've read the catfish will be very unhappy alone so I should get more of those first, but the tetra is driving my gourami mad trying to swim with it!

Thanks in advance for your help!

I would get more tetra first....
is your tank planted with real plants? or decorated with fake? The reason I ask, is because with real plants you can fit a BIT more stock in your tank. The general rule for freshwater stocking is about 1-1.5 inches of fish per gallon of water.
I have used this site Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums religiously to research and decide which fish to put in which tank. Would LOVE to see pictures

I have a few real plants with plans to add more. I'll work on getting some pics posted. Thanks for the article, I'll definitely check it out!

Still trying to get pictures uploaded, maybe this worked?

Alright, I would def add more. Ghost cats are shy and love plants to hide in. An also get rid I the rainbow shark. They get 6in, are incredibly active and get aggressive as they et older. I would go with a. 55min for them. I figure you can also bump both schools up to 5 and call it stocked

I would personally try to give away or return the rainbow shark, they get very aggressive as they age and will quickly outgrow the tank, but nice look by the way!
I would get 4 more tetras, then get 4 more catfish, but you have more room, I would add 5 kuhli loaches to the tank, they are by far my favorite fish, very funny fish. You can also add a school of neon tetras if you want, and maybe a ram and that's about it

I would personally try to give away or return the rainbow shark, they get very aggressive as they age and will quickly outgrow the tank, but nice look by the way!
I would get 4 more tetras, then get 4 more catfish, but you have more room, I would add 5 kuhli loaches to the tank, they are by far my favorite fish, very funny fish. You can also add a school of neon tetras if you want, and maybe a ram and that's about it

I wouldn't do a ram. They pretty fragile and enjoy more plants or a school of neons. I have skirt tetra right them that's the size of a silver dollar lol. You could also do a school of Cory cats in stead of khulis

Can I add 4 fish at a time (first tetras and later catfish)? I have read that the catfish like cover so I definitely have plans to plant more. Thank you!

ETA : Just saw a reply addressing how many I could add at once, thanks.

I will try to get rid of the shark as well. He hasn't been aggressive at all yet, but apparently he will be. I plan to add a background and more plants and that's it for the setup. And it sounds like I can do 5 each of the tetras and catfish, then maybe others! Exciting, thanks everyone.

I will try to get rid of the shark as well. He hasn't been aggressive at all yet, but apparently he will be. I plan to add a background and more plants and that's it for the setup. And it sounds like I can do 5 each of the tetras and catfish, then maybe others! Exciting, thanks everyone.

Yep, I wish you luck! Post pics of you later setups. You can also dose ferts and such for plants. I recommend looking into it

Will different breeds of tetra school together or should I stick with the same breed? And sorry, but what does "dose ferts" mean?

ETA: Looked it up, fertilizers, gotcha. Thanks!

Will different breeds of tetra school together or should I stick with the same breed? And sorry, but what does "dose ferts" mean?

No prob, ferts is a shorter version of fertilizer and can be dosed into the water volume. It makes your plants grow better. And it really matters on tetras, like black skirts will school with white skirts but not neons. It's the color morph of th species

And it really matters on tetras, like black skirts will school with white skirts but not neons. It's the color morph of th species

That's what I figured, thanks. I really regret not looking in to this all sooner, I was just really excited and didn't know it could be so complicated. Now I'm just hoping to be a kind owner to my fish! I felt terrible when I learned I had gotten one each of two different schooling fish. I really appreciate everyone's input.

That's what I figured, thanks. I really regret not looking in to this all sooner, I was just really excited and didn't know it could be so complicated. Now I'm just hoping to be a kind owner to my fish! I felt terrible when I learned I had gotten one each of two different schooling fish. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Don't be sorry, at least your trying to improve your tank. I've seen people that put oscars and gold fish in 10g, they won't listen to my advice cause they think they know best. Ugh, it gets on my nerves. Anyway, just always do your research from now on and every thing will go swimmingly. Also keep water quality up, Ghost cats can be pretty senstive. Feel free to pm me any questions or such in future if you want. I'm happy to help

Back
Top Bottom