29 Gallon Tank Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlocke

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a 29 gallon aquarium from the Petco dollar per gallon sale, and I was wondering how many fish I could have without overcrowding. Would it be fine to have 2 Angelfish, 2 German Blue Rams, and 2 Apistogrammas?

A 29 has a really small footprint for all of those species. Especially if you have a pair of any or all of them which would amplify territorial behavior. I would worry about territory aggression. The angels in particular; if they pair up and breed they can get very rough on tankmates.

I know I’ve seen all of these fish in communities but you may have to be prepared to separate as they get older. If you can’t do that I would probably rethink the angels.

I agree with libertybelle: 29 is a bit small for angels, especially if they form a mated pair.

That said, you still have room for interesting fish: Honey Dwarf gouramis, kuhli loaches, various small tetra species. You have a lot of choices. Search the forums for "stocking" and look for 29 gallon tanks. You'll find plenty of ideas.

Back
Top Bottom