29g stocking options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monaro_gto

Aquarium Advice Activist
In my 29g tank I have the following
3 f mollies (Dalmation, Silver and Creamcicle)
1 m platy 2 f platies (Micky, red wag and sunburst)
3 Juliis Cory's sex unknown, maybe all males
6 Cardinal Tetra's.

My original thought was that I wanted a single Pearl Gourami but do you think I am stocked already? I will be adding a male blue platy in the near future.

a drawf gourami would be better!! and I'd up the number of cories to at least six, they will be more active in a larger group!

You have room for a Pearl and 3 more corys. The cardinals stay small so 6 is not that many. Many say a Pearl gets too big for a 29g. Yeah, if it's with 75 other fish. Jeeees. If you as the owner want and love the look of a pearl, then get one. It's YOUR tank. I would just get one though. Get a juvenile(2-2.5") and watch it grow and color up. They can get to 4" long but take about a year & a half to do so. They are native to SE Asia and are found in stagnant small ponds when the dry season sets in. They have an auxillary breathing organ called a labyrinth that lets them gulp air for extra oxygen when the stagnant pools start to dry up. Millions die each year in the wild due to being trapped in the dry season. Some have been found to survive to the next monsoon in some pools by being down in the wet mud that kept them wet. They are by nature a slow moving, graceful fish. Because of this they really don't need a "Huge" tank as many think they do.
I saw many in the rice paddies of SE Asia when I was on duty there. When they are happy and healthy they are stunningly beautiful and elegant. OS.

Back
Top Bottom