2g Fluval Spec...no ammonia or anything after two weeks?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MonsterfishGuy said:
Look at the debate that will start!!

A site like here is dedicated to tell you LFS is bad, products are bad and do what we say... Dont buy stability but buy all the test kit!!! As you need ammo and nitrite only, with ph. Master kit is expensive and most test are for aquascaping/ saltwater!

#1 I LOVE MY LFS!! I however am careful and research what I am told by any associate at any fish store (this come from experience)
#2 we don't say that products are bad we usually give our opinion (out of experience)
#3 the API Master test kit tests all parameters that effect the fish
#4 ammo nitrItes and nitrAtes are all harmful to fish if too high, all of these plus ph need to be monitored
#5 freshwater master test kit was on sale @ LFS for $22

sillygirl423 said:
Maybe not doing the no3 test right? I think we need a little more info. So.................
Fish888:
Have you been doing water changes? If so how much?
Are you using API Master test kit?
Are you following API kit instructions in the book not just on the bottle?

If you could answer these questions we may be able to help a little better.

Maybe not doing the no3 test right? I think we need a little more info. So.................
Fish888:
Have you been doing water changes? If so how much?
Are you using API Master test kit?
Are you following API kit instructions in the book not just on the bottle?

I've only done the one water change I've mentioned. I would have done more by now, but I'm not sure if I should with zero anything showing up.

I'm using Tetra Easy Strips b/c I was able to save & buy in bulk. I've been using these strips for weeks with my bettas and have had no problem getting readings (even low ones within about 1.5-2 days). My friend also uses these strips and has had no problem monitoring his tank.

Lastly, I removed the filter cartridge early b/c it was green AND b/c my LFS told me that I was probably disrupting the cycle with it. They said the bacteria from the larger tank might not be right for my smaller tank. :facepalm: This made no sense to me, but I figured the employee would know better as he has kept fish for decades.

I chose this setup, guppies and all, as my LFS (which has only fish) has this kind of setup on their counter. I wanted to replicate it and have followed all of their instructions.

Thanks for your help, btw! :)

Also, the "Stability" course is done and whether or not it helped or not doesn't matter right now. What I would like is to see my tank cycled!

If you're going to continue to debate over this, then please start another thread.

Fish888 said:
I've only done the one water change I've mentioned. I would have done more by now, but I'm not sure if I should with zero anything showing up.

I'm using Tetra Easy Strips b/c I was able to save & buy in bulk. I've been using these strips for weeks with my bettas and have had no problem getting readings (even low ones within about 1.5-2 days). My friend also uses these strips and has had no problem monitoring his tank.

Lastly, I removed the filter cartridge early b/c it was green AND b/c my LFS told me that I was probably disrupting the cycle with it. They said the bacteria from the larger tank might not be right for my smaller tank. :facepalm: This made no sense to me, but I figured the employee would know better as he has kept fish for decades.

I chose this setup, guppies and all, as my LFS (which has only fish) has this kind of setup on their counter. I wanted to replicate it and have followed all of their instructions.

Wow. First step would be finding a new LFS...or at least ignoring them from now on :). A filter cartridge will not negatively effect a cycle unless it contains an ammonia absorbing product like Zeo-lite. Even if it contains carbon it won't hurt since once the carbon is exhausted it simply becomes part of your bio-filter.

Most importantly the statement that a the bacteria wouldn't be right is absolute insanity. The only way that would apply is if the other tank was a saltwater tank since they do contain different forms of beneficial bacteria.

If you have another larger tank...simple solution. Take a portion of filter media, jam it into the 2 gallons filter and voila! Instantly cycled tank.

API master kits, even though initially more costly really are a great value. They are much more accurate and last much, much longer. I've had mine for over a year and have only had to replace the ammonia solution once.

Fish888 said:

I am not sure how the strips work exactly (I've always had the API kit) most here recommend not using them because they aren't very reliable. Is it possible to take a sample of your water to the lfs? Maybe you got a bad batch of strips? I am not sure how adding the filter would disrupt your cycle I've only ever heard it will help. As to the guppys, I've started breeding them and in batches of 1f to 1m the male will bug the female to death literally, 2 females or 2 males by themselves become a problem because they seem to get aggressive when unable to mate.

Just because you and your friend can get readings using these strips, does not mean that you are getting accurate readings using these strips. If your lfs uses liquid kits, I think it would be wise to take a sample there and then compare their readings to your own.

I do agree that strips are inaccurate and only lead to misery when cycling. I can highly recommend the API master kit (liquid). You get hundreds of accurate test results and the entire kit costs about $23.

API Testing...

I went out and bought the FW API kit. I read all of the instructions and carefully conducted all the tests. Here's what I got:

pH ~7.2
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0

I was hard-pressed to match the ammonia reaction, so I made a control with bottled water. The aquarium sample was very, very slightly greener.

So, I guess my guppies are not putting out much waste at all...even after two weeks!! Off all the cycling issues that I thought could come along, this is odd!
I guess I'll just let the ammonia build up?

Seriously...if it's a 2 gallon tank and you have a larger established one...throw in some established media and it's cycled. This is actually a really simple issue.

All cycling involves is a beneficial bacteria : toxin proportion. If you have enough bacteria that it can handle the waste fish are producing...the tank is "cycled". By introducing a piece of media from another tank into this small one...you instantly cycle the tank since the older piece of filter media should contain enough beneficial bacteria to handle the guppys...no problems.

Seriously...if it's a 2 gallon tank and you have a larger established one...throw in some established media and it's cycled. This is actually a really simple issue.

All cycling involves is a beneficial bacteria : toxin proportion. If you have enough bacteria that it can handle the waste fish are producing...the tank is "cycled". By introducing a piece of media from another tank into this small one...you instantly cycle the tank since the older piece of filter media should contain enough beneficial bacteria to handle the guppys...no problems.

Okay, that makes perfect sense and I think that's what I'll do! I can fit some of the media in the filter compartment (where it wont be visible), and then I can move on with enjoying the tank. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom