2nd Filter Recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snailradel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I have a 75g tank with a Eheim 2236 (Easy 80) running on it. While it says that it is good for up to 80 gallons, I am quickly hearing that this isn't really the case.

Thus, I would like to get a second filter for the tank.

It is a freshwater community tank with some Molly's, Danio's, Cory's, & Gourami's. I also have quite a few live plants (I wouldn't say "heavily planted" just yet. . .but a good amount to start!)

So, my question is . . .if I'm on a budget (I've spent a lot on aquarium stuff lately, so I want to try to keep this reasonable. . .which is a fancy way of saying cheap!). What would you recommend for a second filter?

Also, is there any added benefit to using my canister with a HOB filter? Or would two canisters still be the best? What size? etc.

I was thinking of keeping the 2236 as it is (the intake is an inch or two above the substrate) and then the second filter (if/when I get one) with an intake on the other side of the tank and maybe more in the middle to suck in from a different level. Is this is a good idea?

Thanks for the help!

Either way ... Canister or HOB .... is fine. You can look at either the AC-70 or AC-110 if you go the HOB route. If your canister were to die on you (somewhat unlikely) either AC could hold it's own ... the AC-110 could easily filter a 75gal.

In your case, what the AC's really allow you to do is stuff it with a bunch of Poly-fill or sponges to get that extra mechanical filtration (and biological)to really polish your water.
Plus, depending how deep your canister's output is, the HOB virtually guarantees surface movement to promote gas exchange. And yes I would set up the second filter in the way you described.

A HOB would provide some contrast to the canister filter, although there isn't much of a difference. How much gph are you looking for? The tetra whisper ex series have worked great for me.

Back
Top Bottom