3 discus fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Udeservit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im new to Discus keeping.My Larger 4 inch discus is pushing my 2 other 3 inch discus to the back corner behind the tall Plants. There are only 3 discus, and 4 corys in the 75 gal tank. What is this all about, and what is the swimming behaviour expected of Discus.I thought they should all be swimming outfront in the open? I purchased them 5 days ago, I have been doing small water changes everyday, i removed half of the plants yesterday as the tank was heavily grown. There are happy to eat the bloodworms and brine shrimp i feed them. Advice would be great.

If this is the wrong location for this thread please redirect me. I'm relatively new to this forum and any guidance is welcome.

K

I had a similar situation I purchased two (about 2") on January 4. They were in the same tank at my LFS. When I got them home and settled the larger of the two became a bully. So much that he bullied it to death. I returned on Tuesday to my LFS, purchased five more and Wednesday morning the smallest was not well. He went back to the store Wednesday night !! ?? I'm waiting for the new shipment to come in Tuesday.

Discus form a social hierarchy, and usually do better in groups of 5 or more. That helps them to feel more secure, and spreads out the aggression should you get a 'bully.'

maybe i should have spent more time looking at behaviour at the store and less time on choosing for colour!! I don't like having a bully in the tank. :(

wish i could get more, there isn't anymore here where i live. I have to wait till a store brings more in :(

Most stores that do they're own picking from a wholesaler will usually take a request from a customer as to what particular color and size you'd be looking for. At least a couple around me do anyway. It's also a good idea for a QT that is at the same parameters as the main tank for at least a week as well.

Yeah I have a cobalt blue bully. He even took over the log where my German blue ram had mated with an electric blue, I was so excited.... Now me and the wife have a name for that discus that I can't repeat in this forum lol.
But Generally you need a big tank, Clean water, separated spaces usually thru plants, real or fake, calming shoaling fish, 82-87 degrees depending on age (warmer for young'uns), and 6-8 for a good social mix up with little to no harassment. And if you do get a bully, usually if it's in Good Health their easy to trade out for.

Back
Top Bottom