Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question 3-Gallon Mini Tank and Tetras

I'm limited on space but have been thinking for a while about getting a 3-gallon mini Tank. Walmart has a 3-gallon round tank that would fit my available space. The fish I'm considering are a few Tetras (5-10, Neon, Glowlight and Cardinal), a couple African Dwarf Frogs, and a few ghost shrimp. Would those numbers be too high for such a small space?

Here's a picture of what I'm considering:

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA! Yes that is way to small for that many fish. Would a 10gallon 10"x20" fit your space as that will open up your options.

Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agree with Thom.

A 10 gallon kit wouldn't cost that much more, and you could do a school of 6 of one of the species you mentioned. A 3 gallon isn't suitable for any of those fish, unfortunately.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

well maybe the ghost shrimp and the dwarf frog would fit in the 3 gallon. another bad problem with that is limited surface area.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

and easily flucuated water readings
Old 07-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to buddha_red
i get so mad when i see a small aquarium with a picture of lots of fish on the box. Where i come from, that's plain called false advertisement.
buddha_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Bear in mind that fish naturally swim back and forth, not so much up and down, especially fast, schooling species like the ones you've picked out. You need a tank that is longer, rather than tall, for them.
7.5 Gallon Cube Planted Betta Sorority - 20 Long Planted Community - 10 Gallon RCS Farm - 10 Gallon Crayfish Playpen - 29 Gallon Community - 55 Gallon Planted Community - *Coming Soon* 80 Gallon Community
Nippy Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What would be a good fish(s) to put in such a size tank? I don't want to do Bettas or guppies. Is there anything else that would work well?

Old 07-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

In a 3g there wouldn't be many other options. But you can have a cool biotope with plants, frog, snails and shrimp.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you have a good lfs nearby you should go take a look. Species for nano tanks are sprouting up all the time. I saw some microrasboras that were only 1/2" long at my lfs last time I went. And that was about full grown. I like the idea of Red Cherry Shrimp. I raise them for my lfs and I have a 10 gallon tank dedicated to them. They are very interesting to watch, you wouldn't be bored with them. I wouldn't recommend having fish with them and they require *very* good water quality or they will die.

A pet African Dwarf Frog is also not a bad idea. They need to eat blood worms though, so you have to be dedicated in your feeding and clean up. A 3g tank won't really hold much...are you sure that's all you have room for?

7.5 Gallon Cube Planted Betta Sorority - 20 Long Planted Community - 10 Gallon RCS Farm - 10 Gallon Crayfish Playpen - 29 Gallon Community - 55 Gallon Planted Community - *Coming Soon* 80 Gallon Community
Nippy Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mini, tan, tetras

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com