3 week nitrite spike fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orandafan12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive waited for 3 weeks for nitrites to go down. I am getting impatient. How much longer until it falls to 0 ppm?

orandafan12 said:
Ive waited for 3 weeks for nitrites to go down. I am getting impatient. How much longer until it falls to 0 ppm?

Where are they now??

Flossie said:
Where are they now??

Maybe 5+. Its been like this since the first day of ammonia drop. Also i did 2 75% pwc. Not on same day though

I've heard that high nitrites can cause a stall... I suppose u should just continue daily PWC. Someone more experienced
Than me hopefully will tune in soon... Keep the PWC coming for now

Search for "eco's (almost) complete guide on fishless cycling" all will be answered, a stall is rare but can happen, you should document it if it really is a stall I'd be interested in your readings of chems in the aquarium

dollabill420 said:
Search for "eco's (almost) complete guide on fishless cycling" all will be answered, a stall is rare but can happen, you should document it if it really is a stall I'd be interested in your readings of chems in the aquarium

Yes i have already seen the guide and i will keep a calender of my tank water readings if you want.

Also when i did this fishless cycle their were already a high count of nitrites. 5+ ppm if i recall. May this have effected the super high notrites

I'm having the same thing happen with my cycling, think I'm on day 27 now and I've had 5.0+ppm of nitrites for about 2 1/2 weeks now maybe longer, I've done 2 90% water changes over the last two weeks which gets the nitrites to around 0.50-1.0ppm for a day then it shoots straight back up. I even tried only dosing the ammonia to 1.0ppm for a few days to try let the no2-no3(think thats right) process catch up but no luck. I'm getting sick of the colour purple lol

Also when i did this fishless cycle their were already a high count of nitrites. 5+ ppm if i recall. May this have effected the super high notrites

Can you expand on that? Where did the no2 come from? Did you have fish in the tank before doing a fishless cycle? I assume it doesn't come from your tap, right?

eco23 said:
Can you expand on that? Where did the no2 come from? Did you have fish in the tank before doing a fishless cycle? I assume it doesn't come from your tap, right?

Yes i actually left the tank running for a while with some common goldfish. But they all died because i did not know what i was doing. After thet died i left the tank standing for maybe a week or 2 with no ammonia.

orandafan12 said:
Yes i actually left the tank running for a while with some common goldfish. But they all died because i did not know what i was doing. After thet died i left the tank standing for maybe a week or 2 with no ammonia.

The problem was leaving the tank without ammo, most of the bacteria probably would have died. Without bacteria, the nitrIte will never convert...so there's really no way to tell where you are in your cycle. The only way to have a good baseline of where you are is to do numerous water changes and get your no2 virtually down to zero. That way you can monitor it and find out how far into your cycle you actually are.

eco23 said:
The problem was leaving the tank without ammo, most of the bacteria probably would have died. Without bacteria, the nitrIte will never convert...so there's really no way to tell where you are in your cycle. The only way to have a good baseline of where you are is to do numerous water changes and get your no2 virtually down to zero. That way you can monitor it and find out how far into your cycle you actually are.

So should i do a 100% water change?

orandafan12 said:
So should i do a 100% water change?

I would get your nitrIte as low as possible...around .5 will be fine. There's really no other way to accurately know where you are in your cycle since it began with such extreme no2 levels.

eco23 said:
I would get your nitrIte as low as possible...around .5 will be fine. There's really no other way to accurately know where you are in your cycle since it began with such extreme no2 levels.

I got to go buy some seachem prime first. I dont have any more declorinator.

eco23 said:

So i found that i just barely had enough of my dechlorinator. I was able to get nitrites down to about 1 or 2. Good enough?

orandafan12 said:
So i found that i just barely had enough of my dechlorinator. I was able to get nitrites down to about 1 or 2. Good enough?

The lower the better...but I'd say that's fine for now. At least we'll be able to see what it does from there. I'm sure the no2 was through the roof and probably stalled since you started cycling with 5+.

eco23 said:
The lower the better...but I'd say that's fine for now. At least we'll be able to see what it does from there. I'm sure the no2 was through the roof and probably stalled since you started cycling with 5+.

If it gets high tomorrow should i do a water change?

orandafan12 said:
If it gets high tomorrow should i do a water change?

I don't think you'll need to for a while. The key was to knock it down, see where you are get things moving. Let is know what happens :)

eco23 said:
I don't think you'll need to for a while. The key was to knock it down, see where you are get things moving. Let is know what happens :)

I just did a test. Ammo is gone. Nitrites sky rocket up to 5+ppm. Now what?

orandafan12 said:
I just did a test. Ammo is gone. Nitrites sky rocket up to 5+ppm. Now what?

Just wait it out now. That let us know where you actually are in your cycle...near the end :)

Back
Top Bottom