30 Gal - Tiger Barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquamami8326

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm giving my goldfish and common pleco a new 55 gallon home and I need something new for my 30 gallon. I am Dead set on Tiger Barbs, and would really love a pleco that won't outgrow a 30 gallon. And I'd love to add anything else if possible so any ideas are welcome!

Just FYI, a common pleco can grow up to 1-2 feet if kept properly; they grow fairly quickly too, so unless you can upgrade your tank again within a year (maybe sooner, depending on how large it is now) I'd try to rehome it.

As for Barbs, they do best in larger groups to spread the aggression around amongst each other. So for a 30 gal you could probably do 12 TB and the pleco. Just be careful what pleco you get; some get very large.

Yes, I think 12 would be a good sized school for a 30 gallon. One idea is to get 4 regular tiger barbs, 4 Albino Tiger Barbs, and 4 Green Tiger Barbs. They will school together, and it makes the tank a little more interesting (y)

aquamami8326 said:
That's what I was thinking! I was just kind of hoping for something a little less common though.

The albinos are nice, not as common, or the golden nugget.

Hi I have a 40Breeder and I have 6 tiger barbs and 3 gourami's. They all get along although the tiger barb's harass one another here and there especially since i didn't know how to sex them...I found out quickly that I have 2 females and 4 males (bad ratio for the females). I took them out of my 55 that also housed a red tail shark and rubber-lip pleco and they all got along in there as well....here is a short clip of them

Yes, I think 12 would be a good sized school for a 30 gallon. One idea is to get 4 regular tiger barbs, 4 Albino Tiger Barbs, and 4 Green Tiger Barbs. They will school together, and it makes the tank a little more interesting (y)

Yes it does...sometimes they school and shoal other times....I have 4 reg, 1 albino, and 1 green....they do make the tank interesting...I love watching them..lol

Thanks for all the replies you guys! I think a clown pleco is definitely what I will be getting. Should I still get 12 tiger barbs with one clown pleco in there? Would any shrimp or crayfish be a good idea? Sorry for all the questions lol.
And by the way, I have a deal made out with my local supplies that I can trade my pleco in whenever he gets too big, but I would like to keep him as long as possible lol.

I think a Clown Pleco and 12 TBs would be fine. You may want to look in to the CPO Dwarf Orange Crayfish, but that may become a snack for the Tiger Barbs. I'm not exactly sure.

Back
Top Bottom