30 gallon discus tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BamBamFishKid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know that some of you will say that 30 gallons is too small for discus, but I have seen many videos and heard many stories about people who have kept one discus with a school on neons and some cory cats. Is this possible? I would also plant this 30g high with corkscrew val. what are your thoughts?:hide:

Nope, not at all unless you like to stunt your fish . I've seen 30g discus tanks to, but that dosen't mean it's right, I've seen other people smoke pot and such too, but I'm not going to do it just because I've seen it done.
There incredibly finicky and social fish that need to school an can get a decent adult size.

Stunting is where the outer body stops growing while the organs inside keep growing and inventory squish togther so tight the fish internally implodes.

I'm not trying to be rude, but it's not a good idea

I agree. Discus are such a finicky, fragile, and expensive fish I wouldn't even consider putting them in anything smaller than a 55. A 30g tank really isn't nearly long enough for a large discus to swim in.

They should get the size of a dinner plate almost, so think about that. I agree with the above.

I have posted a requiem of the past year with my 135 gallon Discus tank. Not to discourage you, but to prevent any senseless loss of fish, Discus are for the advanced aquarist. I have been in the hobby for almost 30 years, and I can tell you with certainty, that a single discus in a 30 gallon tank is a death sentence for the fish and a waste of your hard earned money. Until you have the wherewithal to cover the 3 critical requirements for keeping Discus ( large tank, high water quality and high filtration) I suggest that you pass on discus for now. Let the more experienced of us get you set up the right way and prevent you from making some very costly and painful mistakes. See my Discus project in the Discus forum of fresh water fishes. I am I am sure others will be glad to help you.
D

Attachments

• image-1761369886.jpg
    image-1761369886.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 231
  • image-3904107493.jpg
    image-3904107493.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 204
  • image-3851017074.jpg
    image-3851017074.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 170
Back