30 gallon ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquazen

Aquarium Advice Freak
I may be acquiring an old 30 gallon in the next 2-3 weeks. I was told that the tank hasn't been used in almost 5 years, but there was never any leak. Would I need to go ahead and buy some silicone sealant and apply it over the old seal? I was also considering using a canister fillter, maybe a Fluval, for this tank. Which one should I get? They don't give any particulars at the on-line stores as to the GPH for the different models. I'm used to HOBs, so canisters will be new for me.

One last thing. Would 2 discus and about 15 tetras be alright in the tank?

If the tank hasn't been used for 5 years, you may want to re-seal it as a safety precaution. You may fill it up and 2 days later it may rupture. But again, just a precaution. A canister isn't really necessary for a 30 gal tank, but it can't hurt. The Eheim Ecco Comfort Canister Filter 2232 works for up to 35 gal. That may be the way to go if you want a canister. They are better than hob's IMO.

The discus' are going to get quite large. They max out around 8 inches and a suggested minimum tank size of 50 gal. But in response to your question, tetra's and discus' would work out fine, just not sure if in a tank that small.

I'd fill the aquarium (outside) first to check for leaks first. See if it will hold water before doing any thing with silicone.

If you got adult discus you could do a breeding pair. But you would want to go bare bottom for breeding and perhaps not with tetras.

If you wanted a display type tank with gravel, still go for two adults and get some corys and tetras.

Young fish need really clean water to grow properly and anything other than bare bottom makes it hard to grow them to maximum size. Plus, they like to be in groups. You could get 6 small ones and sell/trade as they grow until you have a pair. That would mean heavy feeding and daily waterchanges..... and deciding which ones to get rid of...or which new tank to buy to house them as they grow!

The Fluval 204 would probably suit. An AC 200 or 300 would also do, just buy an extra sponge and not use the carbon. A lot of discus people use AC less hassle to clean, so you can focus on water quality. ie PWC's

Forgot to mention, Those filters are for if you are going for discus and would be an overkill in a community tank. I reckon they poop as much as golfish.

If there are no leaks and the tank seems sound, and visually the silicon looks intact, then you are in good shape. There is no benefit at all to applying more silicon - if it needs to be re-sealed you'll have to strip the old completely away before applying the new anyway.

I think your fish selection could work, but it is really contingent on the tank configuration. If it is a tall rather than low, wide tank it should be fine for just two. Discus will benefit from a taller setup due to their laterally compressed bodies.

I love a canister on anything over about 20 gals, but that's just because I don't like to see the box hanging on the tank. I have a 37gal and the Ecco 2232 was not even close to adequate. I got a 2236 for it and am currently running both on it since it was a newly cycled tank. I don't think the 2236 would be too much current for discus.

Congrats on your new tank, Aquazen, fun fun!

Back
Top Bottom