So I've been thinking about starting a new tank for my room for a while now. I've been deciding on size and location and whether to do saltwater or freshwater. I think I've settled on a 30 gallon freshwater tank now.
I want to do a natural tank (all those sunken ship design make me roll my eyes), so I have a few questions, as this will be my first community freshwater aquarium. I have some betta tanks so I do have experience in it, though, but these are my questions:
1. I need some stocking ideas. I want to learn as much as possible about the following fish, so I just want some opinions based on your experience: mollies, rasboras, zebra danio, cory cats. I will definitely want to add neon tetras and maybe some other kind, as they are one of my favorites. I also am considering moving one of my bettas into the tank so please keep your suggestions in favor of the betta fish.
2. I've never done a planted tank before. What are their basic requirements? Will I have to add CO2
into the water for photosynthesis? What plants do you recommend?
3. Where can I get some good driftwood? Also I have no idea what care requirements there are for driftwood (if there are any), so all help is appreciated.
4. What are some cool invertebrates I can add? I'm a big fan of snails, but those might eat my plants. What about shrimp? What's a good invertebrate for keeping algae in check?
5. What would a good flow rate be? I'm not sure if flow rate is as important in freshwater as it is in saltwater. Is it?
That's all I can think of for now. I will do my own research too. Thanks!