30 Gallon stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kadoozey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello community! I just got my hands on a 30 gallon tank and I'm excited to set up the tank, cycle it, and get some fish in there. :dance:
I currently have a betta that I got as a gift who I can set up by himself in a 3 gallon, but I'd prefer to get him in the 30 gallon with some other more docile fish that will stay out of his way.

If anyone would like to give me some advice as to what I should put with the betta or if I should just keep him by himself and put some different things in the 30 gallon that would be awesome. :) People have suggested I put some kuhli loaches in with the betta and my brother has a small aquatic frog that I've read get along fine with bettas.

Thank you all. :) :thanks:

Really it depends on the temperament of te betta. Nothing with long flashy find for sure, serval species of corys, rams, khuli loaches (a personal fave of mine) and some slower types of tetras can work.
No fast moving fish as it could stress out the betta, also make sure you have some broad leaf plants as the betta fish like to rest on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Honestly I'd keep the betta in the 3 gallon. Multiple water changes a week and some plants for him to enjoy.

Bettas are hit or miss in a community tank and you never know when you might come home to a murder scene. They are fighting fish after all.

If you want a flashy centerpiece for your 30g look at dwarf gourami.

Caleb

All types of Cory cats,guntheri notho,Bala sharks,kuhli loaches ,Denison barbs etc are good options.goldfish and tiger barbs are a NO no ...

All types of Cory cats,guntheri notho,Bala sharks,kuhli loaches ,Denison barbs etc are good options.goldfish and tiger barbs are a NO no ...

No Bala Sharks for a 30 they get way to big

No denison barbs for a 30 either, they get fairly large and are extremely active. Plus they're endangered so they're just a bad option all-around as far as responsible fishkeeping is concerned.

Stock the 3 with the betta and frog and stock the 30 with pseudomugil blue eyes like furcata rainbows or gertrudae rainbows.

Wow thanks for the input guys this is really helpful! I haven't thought of combos for the tank without a betta so I guess I should do some research into gouramis next.

Thanks and keep it up :)

A Dwarf gourmi makes a great fish I have one in my tank. Another cool fish to look into are red minor tetras. They are really pretty and the long finned versions are nice. Neon tetras make a great addition to any tank as well. You could also try a small pleco like a clown pleco or a bristle nose.

A stocking list could possibly be
1 Dwarf gourami
6 red minor tetras
8 neon tetras
1 clown or bristle nose pleco

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom