30 gallon stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MermaidGurl

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 30 gallon aquarium and I was wondering if anyone has any stocking ideas? I want it to be a freshwater community tank.
Thanks!

Also if anyone has any good tips or links for fishless cycling, that'd be great!

The first thread of this forum has links to starting a new tank.
If you could give us your water parameters, I'm sure someone can give you great stocking ideas. Also, what types of fish do you prefer? Cichlids, peaceful, schooling, oddball, predatory, etc . . .

The first thread of this forum has links to starting a new tank.
If you could give us your water parameters, I'm sure someone can give you great stocking ideas. Also, what types of fish do you prefer? Cichlids, peaceful, schooling, oddball, predatory, etc . . .
I haven't started he cycling process yet. I was thinking of peaceful fish, ones that would get along in a community tank. Not predatory or cichlids. And I'm good with oddballs.

Tetras and Danios are always a good choice for small tanks. Upside catfish aren't really oddballs, but are fun to watch, and do fine in a tank that size. If your water has the correct parameters, Leaf fish are really cool. Senegal Bichirs stay fairly small, a you could probably do 1 in a 30g, but they do have a tendency to eat small fish, so tetras and danios may not work. Dwarf gouramis are probably large enough to escape predation.

I have a community tank some good fish that add tons of colour:

Dwarf Gourami's- super cool and pretty fish they don't bug or pick on any other fish sometimes carry virus's though and end up dying after a few months. This virus won't spread to different kinds of fish, they are only carried in them

Guppies- they mind their own business and are cool to have if you wanna see a fish give birth because they reproduce all the time. If you do go with this option make sure you have a 1:4 ratio of males to females because the males tend to stress females out by trying to reproduce all the time.

Giant Apple Pen Snail- this guy is the coolest thing ever it's literally a giant snail. Unlike other snails they don't multiply like crazy. He's fun to watch he'll slug up to the top of the tank then fall all the way to the bottom.

Mollies and Platties are also pretty fish to have and get along with others well

Any type of pleco or loche to keep the tank clean is also a good idea although be careful because some plecos can get fairly large

I also have blood parrot fish in my tank which are a type of cichlid and people say they tend to be aggressive but I have two in my community tank along with the other fish I talked about and they're fine they pick on each other because they are territorial fish so for me personally they work in my tank and add lots of colour but for others they could disagree. They are also fairly large fish so maybe not the best for a 30g tank

I'm not saying add all these fish into your tank because it could get over stocked I'm just saying these are the fish that look pretty in tanks and are easy to take care of for beginners and they all get along with each other

Back
Top Bottom