30 gallon tank deals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which of these fish do you like best?

• Swordtail

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Danio

• Gourami

• Tetra

• Angelfish

• Other

• Total voters

NeonSwordtail

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What would be considered a good deal on the total price of a 30 gallon tank and its equipment if you bought them all seperately? (not in a kit)

30 Gallon Price

I spent about $230 plus tax on a 29 bow tank with:
a 200gallon/hr with aquaclear power head,
a 65watt coralife compact florescent with a 10,000K bulb (about $80 was for this light which is a very good plant light)
a 200 watt heater (my house gets cold sometimes).
25 lbs of gravel and a really cool piece of wood for deco.
and a thermometer.

Later I bought a CO2 unit so it can be planted and another 45 lbs of seachem flourite substrate which I am told you really need to be successful with plants. I've tried before and failed at that so I decided to go for it this time. The Carbo unit set me back about $139 and the flourite is about a dollar a pound. Ugh, but I am looking forward to getting this tank right. An adviser here said to me Healthy plants = healthy fish. Hope this helps. Betowess

Have you checked out Ebay for a 30? That's right around the size that ships well. You could probably get a package (may not what you want, but there are a lot of auctions out there) for well under $200.

In the store, I'd say that the tank, stand and hood usually go for about $130-$180. Get your filter online at www.bigalsonline.com--you can get a Fluval 304 for something like $70, and a Penguin 330 for ~$24! (The cheapest prices I've been able to find.) Also, get a heater there, and any other light items. Get your gravel at the store, though, coz that's expensive to ship...

You could spend anywhere from $200 to $450 probably...

Good luck.

I am looking at a classified ad right now for a 30-gal with hood, stand, filter (don't know what kind), heater, gravel and rocks, and "accessories for an African tank" for $100.00. Considering what I have spent on my other tanks, I think I am going to avail myself to frustrated fishkeepers who just want to get rid of their equipment and have forgotten what they paid for it!

i just spent this on some new gear...

$87 26 gallon bow front, glass
$76 dual strip light + glass top
$170 curved stand, wood
$55 hot magnum pro
$18 ebo jager 150 watt heater
$15 aquarium rocks
$20 plastic plants

i was happy with the cost of everything except the stand. other stores were charging $220 for the stand and my wife really wanted it, so i suppose i should not complain too much.

i bought the heater and filter online because those items were about 60% cheaper than i was able to find locally.

Is this classified ad on aquariumadvice or elsewhere?
This is a weekly classified publication, not the daily newspaper but a "Bargain Trader" type mag, sold at convenience stores and such. This issue is chock full of great deals from $15 to $250 for a 90 gallon tank, canopy, cooling fan and stand! Goes to show you how this stuff does not hold its value! Today I wound up getting a 40-gal All-Glass tank with glass tops and the All-Glass black pine stand for $100, since the stand is identical to the one for my 55-gal. They look brand new. This person was getting rid of it to accommodate her large fish that outgrew this tank. Some people get their filters and other hardware secondhand, but I like to get new for that stuff. Big Als and me go way back..

Today I wound up getting a 40-gal All-Glass tank with glass tops
I just used the handy calculator on this site and it turns out this is a 44-gal tank. Even better!

What's the differance between a U.S gal and a UK gal. In the Uk a 48"x 12" x 12" aquarium would be 25 gal and a 40 gal. would be 48" x 15" x 15" aquarium. Does this seem about right.
In the UK you can get a 48x12x12 aquarium with hood,light, undergravel filter,air pump and backing paper for about £150.00 and there are some good deals about.

Back
Top Bottom