30 Gallon Tank - Thinking about these fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garethk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, first post to this forum.
Hoping to get a Juwel Rio over next few weeks.
Currently have a biorb with some neons, black widow tetras and a few shrimp, but its time to get something bigger.
Was thinking about:

1 Red Tailed Black Shark
6 Tiger Barbs
3 Albino Corys
1 Brisltenose Plec

Thinking about a gravel substrate, rocks and wood and some plants.

What do you guys think?
Also, could I put my biorb fish/shrimp into this community?

Also I love clown loaches, but these would get too big, right?
And what about 2 kribensis? Unsuitable in above setup?

I look forward to your replies. Great forum!

How many neons and tetras do you want to put in the tank?
If you have tetras, you should try to get them each to schooling size (6+)
After that, you could definatly add the RTB shark, the pleco, and the cories (the schooling size for cories is 5... and with proper filtration and PWC- it could be done)

However, I personally wouldn't suggest adding the tiger barbs because of the what the bio load would be if you got everything up to schooling size. And their temperment (sometimes its hit or miss)

After you cycle your 30gal, I would imagine you could acclimate your biorb fish to the tank (possibly leave the shrimp?)

Also, like mentioned... with proper PWC's and filtration, I think 2 kribs could work as well. But definatly take everything slowly and watch your water parameters =o)

lyquidphyre,
Thanks for the reply. I currently have 4 neons and 4 black widow tetras, but would up these to 6 of each for the big tank. Would probably be too much in the biorb?
What if I left all the tetras out of the big tank, would you think the tiger barbs would be ok then?

I looked up what a bioord is... and I personally didn't like the set up. Something like that would be best for a betta (Not goldfish, like they suggest)

If you upped the tetras to schooling size, they would be to big for your biorb (Unless your biorb is like 15gal hehe).

I would imagine the tiger barbs would be okay with the cories, kribs, RTB shark and pleco... and if you wanted, you could up the school to about 8ish (but 6 is fine). However, I only have experience with kribs + RTB shark + cories + pleco in a tank... while I have tigers barbs in another tank (still havn't figured out what else to put with them)

Ok, so I think I know what I am going to go for:

6 Tiger Barbs
1 RTBS
5 Albino Corys
1 Bristlenose Plec

I could always try adding the tetras in and see what happens, but have the backup tank ready just in case.

Any suggestions on a substrate. Was thinking sand, would be nice for the corys. Is it easy enough to plant in sand?

Back
Top Bottom