300 litre setup!!! Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkyfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone!! So I need some help. I currently have a well established 68 litre community tank and iv just purchased a 300 litre tank to move my fish into.
The 300 is second hand and I dismantled it myself yesterday ( it did have fish in it, so was established) I took about 70 litres of the established water home with me and made sure the filter was submerged in water on the way home. I also kept a lot of the gravel.
So I get home clean the tank, add the established gravel and water then top both up with new, used tap safe and put the previous owners decorations in( temporarily to help the tank along) I checked the water last night and ammonia was 0, nitrate was 60, and nitrite was 0.
My biggest question is how long until it's ready for fish?? I don't mind waiting as I love all of my fish and want to make sure it's safe for them as I'd hate to loose any of them. I'm just not sure weather to class the tank as established or as in cycle???
Thanks guys

Also does anyone no if angel fish are nippy? Iwas think of getting a couple but I have a fancy tail ancistrus an I don't want him getting nipped

You could be on your way, I'd test it though to be sure. If you have some clear ammonia on hand or can get some (make sure it's pure ammonia with no other ingredients, no dyes, perfumes or surfectants), I'd dose the tank up to 4 PPM of ammonia (on the API kit if you have it) and then test it in 24 hours. I'd do this for a few days and if the ammonia goes to 0 each day after 24 hours of putting ammonia in then I'd say it's safe. That's the only way to be sure, I think. The tank water itself might not have much bacteria in it, but the gravel and filter should (just be sure you trust whomever you bought the tank from, b/c if they had any diseases in their tank you'll likely now have them too).

Not sure about the angels and ancistrus specifically but I do think that yes that angels can be nippy. Maybe someone else will have more experience with this and can chime in. Good luck!

Right I'm off to get some ammonia !! I'm 99% sure the water is holding no diseases as it was cared for professionally on a monthly basis and all of it's previous occupants looked healthy and had been going strong for 10 years!! I felt so bad kicking them out!! Very excited to finally have a good sized tank to play with though and my fish are going to love their new home when it's finally ready. Thanx for ur help

Yes angel fish can be nippy ... but again as with most fish - its all down to their personality, i've got a couple of angels with discus and neons ( i know natural predator etc) but they're very friendly.

Back
Top Bottom