30g tank with a hole.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
My friend is giving me her old 30g cube-ish tank that she was using as a frog tank. It kind of has a big hole in the side near the top. Like, it came that way originally. So, any ideas on how I would fix this? Or should I just not completely fill the tank up when I get it? This is another tank that will be sitting around until after I move out of my dorm.

You could patch it with a piece of glass and seal it with silicone. Or go the route of a Paludarium. :)

what size hole is it? where exactly is the hole at? is the tank going to be fresh or saltwater? its probably an overflow hole for a sump

Yea, it was supposed to be a saltwater tank. She is the best at finding tanks at Goodwill, so this was one of those 5$ tanks. I was considering maybe doing a paludarium, but I would prefer being able to fix it and using all of the space.

And the hole is quite large towards the upper corner of the tank. So, I'm guessing it is some saltwater thing. I have no plans ever doing salt, so I have to fix it.

Not necessarily. I have seen some threads on this forum about using overflows and sumps on freshwater. Might be something you want to look into.

This sounds like the tanks that are sold specifically for turtles. The hole in the side of the tank allows you to use a HOB filter with a lower water level so you can build up land, but still contain the turtle in the tank. They're not cheap.
moz-screenshot-2.png

Zilla - Where Reptiles Rule » Turtle Tank | Products

If the tank is indeed one of these turtle tanks, I'd try trading it or selling it.

Yea, the hole was in that region. Thank you, I did not know they specifically sold tanks like that. I couldn't sell/trade, that would be rude, but thank you for the suggestion.

I decided on doing a crab tank, so that might come in handy, actually.

Possibly a canister. I wish I could put a pic up, but I couldn't even attempt sneaking it in my dorm, giant cube of glass might be slightly obvious.... so, it's still at her house.

Its so easy to fix . go to your local glass shop have them cut you a piece of 3/16" clear about a 1/2" larger then the hole itself, and have them seem it to take off the rough edges. then go to your LFS and buy a tube aquarium silicone. clean both surfaces really well. then cover the patch with silicone and press it on over the hole on the inside

good luck
Fishman

Thank you! I will definitely try that one. Just need to get some measurements on it tomorrow and we will go get some glass.

Actually, we are doing more Goodwill aquarium hunting tomorrow. haha. Might have more things posted on here to fix.

Back
Top Bottom