30L or 40B? Looking for upgrade advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grondini

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Happy Wednesday everyone! This is my first post on this forum, and I’m hoping somebody can help me out! I'll give probably too much info, but I know you guys like details!!

My 10g (picture attached) is severely overstocked (the fish I stocked 4 months ago grew much quicker than I expected them to, especially my dojo loach!!). I'm having ammonia issues, but using Prime and doing frequent water changes to keep things under control as much as possible! The fish are acting fine...the cories are even breeding and I have about 25 week old fry (I moved them to my old 2.5g which I filled up only 1/3).
I'm using a Fluval Aquaclear 30 filter on the 10g.

Though I've learned a ton in 4 months, I'm still a rookie. Until 4 months ago, my only experience with fish was a single betta in a 2.5 gallon Minibow (I had one betta for about 2.5 years, followed by a second betta for about 2 years).

I'm debating upgrading to either a 30 long or 40 breeder (I really don't want to go larger than a 40 - I really don't have the space).

Here's what I have in my 10g:
-1 male betta
-3 Harlequin rasbora
-3 peppered corydoras
-1 bristlenose pleco (about 3" long)
. - 1 gold dojo loach (already about. 5"...was about 2.5 and skinny when I got him!)
-3 Golden inca snails (about 2-2.5" each)
-a few live plants (I'd like to get more)

All fish/snails get along fine, and there's no aggression (even the betta is chill).

Would the loach be happy in a 30Long or do I need more volume for the biomass I have? I'm looking at the long rather than the regular because this loach just loves to swim around and I don't need depth with the fish I have. IMG_0012.jpg

Thoughts??

Any advice would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

IMG_0012.jpg

I'd get the 40 and add 3 more rasboras and once they're bigger 3 more cories and call it a day. Loaches will lay on plants up high and hang around on the bottom, so the more room over all the better. Then you can grow thos fry out in the 10g :)

Back
Top Bottom