33 Gallon Stocking Ideas - Open To Criticism!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kareem Monzer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys!

So I'm approaching the end of my cycle and I'm really excited to get some fish in my first tank! Its a 125L (33 gal) mid-heavily planted tank and my filter has a flow-rate of 600l/hr, so my turnover is about 4.8x/hr.

My stocking plan is:
- 9 Neon Tetras
- 5 Guppies
- 6 Celestial Pearl Danios
- 2 Honey Gourami
- 1 Pearl Gourami
- 3 Amano Shrimp

I'm also interested in other fish like Peacock Gudgeons and Panda or Julii Corydoras, but I think i'd be pushing it if I add them in...

These are some of my favorite species and I've tried to take into account at what tank level these guys swim so that I can have a well-spread tank. Also, I believe their water parameter requirements are also close. Now according to the "gallon per inch of fish" rule, I'd definitely be overstocked, however, I heard that rule is outdated. So what do you guys think? Overstocked or not? And please, don't be shy to suggest your own ideas!

Looking forward to hearing your replies!

Won’t the gourami bother the guppies? I would up your CPD’S and not pursue the neons.

I would go 2-4 honey gouramis, 10 cpds and 6-8 amano shrimp. The cpds will probably just hide if you put them in with a larger fish like a pearl gourami.

My suggestion......

10 neons
10 CPD's
6 panda or julii cats
2 honey Gourami or 1 Pearl (not both)
3 Amano Shrimp

That wouldn't overstock you but you'd be maxed out in a moderately planted tank.
Also, double your filtration to 8-10x/hr.

My suggestion......

10 neons
10 CPD's
6 panda or julii cats
2 honey Gourami or 1 Pearl (not both)
3 Amano Shrimp

That wouldn't overstock you but you'd be maxed out in a moderately planted tank.
Also, double your filtration to 8-10x/hr.

Well thats interesting! I've been rethinking the CPDs since they dont get bigger than 0.9 inches, which is tiny and theyre incredibly shy... Maybe I could put something else instead... No guppies?

Also, why is my filtration not enough? I thought my filter was really good at 4.8x/hr, I heard that 4 what most people should have...

Well thats interesting! I've been rethinking the CPDs since they dont get bigger than 0.9 inches, which is tiny and theyre incredibly shy... Maybe I could put something else instead... No guppies?

Also, why is my filtration not enough? I thought my filter was really good at 4.8x/hr, I heard that 4 what most people should have...
I thought they were shy too. For some reason the last batch I got are so freaking outgoing its obnoxious. They literally wont leave the water change hose alone and were getting sucked out of the tank. These guys are glass puppies. It's a low light jungle tank though. Think they feel more at ease with a disgusting amount of vegetation. And maybe it's the fact that they love with 6 puffer fish that havnt eaten them.. they are brazen little things.

I think 8x is ideal especially for a planted tank. But I like to turn the water over at least 10x unless I'm keeping fish that don't like heavier flow.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I've pretty much concluded my stock list based on your comments and further research. It goes like this:

- 2 Pearl Gourami
- 15 Cardinal Tetra
- 4 Otocinclus Catfish
- 2 German Blue Ram
- 4 Amano Shrimp
- 2 Peacock Gudgeons (Maybe)

Looking forward to hearing back from you all!

Back
Top Bottom