35 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namllots

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can I add other fish to the tank? This is what I have in there so far.
1 flame dwarf gourami.
6 glowlight tetras.
2 green corydoras.

That depends.. how old is your tank and what are your parameters? If the parameters are good then yes you could add some more fish.

The corys like to be in a shoal of 5+ fish.

The tank is brand new, fully cycled and just added the fish today. Parameters?

you have plenty of room to add more fish.

Your should definitely bump the cories to 6 to start

With your tank being newly fully cycled just wait a week or so before adding fish while watching your water.

Ok! I will get more Corys tomorrow. Thanks !

Woah there! Don't go out and get more fish yet. Since you aren't sure what parameters are then I am going to assume you are following fish store directions of fill the tank, let it sit for 24 hrs, and then add fish. Sadly, this is anything BUT cycled.

First, go out and buy an API freshwater master test kit. This will allow you to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. These are your base parameters for an aquarium.

Next take a look at this link for how to properly cycle your tank.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

I have an API master test kit. This tank has been cycled for 8 days before putting these guys in..

I'm sorry, I just never heard of parameters used in that context.

Did you read that link? It's great advice! So have you done the nitrogen cycle?

I think they missed the part where you said your tank was cycled;)

The tank is brand new, fully cycled and just added the fish today. Parameters?

The op said it is brand new, fully cycled and then asked what parameters are. I don't think they know what fully cycled means.

I heard of water testing but not parameters. Sorry if I didn't understand. I'm just trying to learn and get feedback. :(

I heard of water testing but not parameters. Sorry if I didn't understand. I'm just trying to learn and get feedback. :(

No your fine, we all start somewhere :). When you test your water you are looking for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite are both toxic to fish at any level and nitrate is at high levels. That cycling article mebbid posted explains a lot.

I read that. But often times a LFS will tell a person their tank is cycled after 24 hours of sitting with water in it. Many times those people show up on this forum asking questions and since I was at school for the past 6 hours I figured it would be best to just throw that out there at once :)

So 6 tetras and 6 ish cory cats.

Have you thought about any other fish you like?
Is this a hex tank?

Maybe you shouldn't just assume people know what cycling really is. Normally if a person does the nitrogen cycle the no what parameters are otherwise how do you know if your actually done. It kinda goes hand in hand... When you cycle you need to make sure your ammonia is 0ppm or mg/l depending on your kit and the same with nitrites. They also need to make sure that your nitrate are rising. How do you get all this without knowing what the parameters are?

I have an API master test kit. This tank has been cycled for 8 days before putting these guys in..

8 days to cycle? Seems really quick are you sure your finished and it isn't just stalled?
So what are your parameters at? You never said. What are your weekly nitrate levels at. This is really what determines if you can add more fish.

Let me start by saying I am new to this... I bought everything at Petco and was instructed by them on when to add fish after the cycle. I brought the water in to them as they advised. They tested it with strips and told me it was safe to put the fish in. I'm a beginner and just trying to learn. If Made a mistake and added fish too soon than I would hope to receive advice here on how to go forward. Again, I wouldn't just add fish without guidance.

Woah there! Don't go out and get more fish yet. Since you aren't sure what parameters are then I am going to assume you are following fish store directions of fill the tank, let it sit for 24 hrs, and then add fish. Sadly, this is anything BUT cycled.

First, go out and buy an API freshwater master test kit. This will allow you to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. These are your base parameters for an aquarium.

Next take a look at this link for how to properly cycle your tank.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

This is all the advice you need right here! It was already mentioned before. You did not cycle and still are. You need to read that sticky! Don't listen to your petco employees anymore. They only want to sell and make money.

Back
Top Bottom