35 Litre (roughly 10 US Gallon) Betta tank - Betta advice needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks guys really much appreciated... my fault not havin enough ammonia at the beginning i had put too much in initially but quickly did wc then to reduce it. I have just done about 30% wc... Only have 1 bucket so bit limited... If still high tommo il do another one

Cool cheers! I'll check ammo, nitrite and Nitrate again in few hours and see wats happening then. Im terrible at being patient... I Actually said that at my lfs yesterday and he said why not do it the easy way and put fish in.. It will prob do them in but ur tank will done.... I just said err no thanks I'll do it the proper way

tinkster87 said:
Cool cheers! I'll check ammo, nitrite and Nitrate again in few hours and see wats happening then. Im terrible at being patient... I Actually said that at my lfs yesterday and he said why not do it the easy way and put fish in.. It will prob do them in but ur tank will done.... I just said err no thanks I'll do it the proper way

Good for you :). Even though you've got to stare at an empty tank for a while, fishless cycling takes less patience and is a heck of a lot faster than fish-in cycling. Plus, it's about 100 less buckets you've got to carry during the process.

Hi Guys

I have just done the tests again after the water change and it doesn't appear to have done much (esp Nitrate):(

Photos are below though not the best quality - it was dark but under a light (in 2nd photo Nitrate appears alot lighter which isn't right, the colour of Nitrate in 1st photo is more accurate)

40393-albums1839-picture12584.jpg

40393-albums1839-picture12585.jpg

What do you guys think?

:thanks:

because the test kit results still high I have done another pwc and see what that does.

Cheers regarding the recomendation regarding Cardinals and Rasboras, I have sent email to my to my lfs to see if they stock them.

I have one tank with a crown tail betta and 6 harlequins, and one tank with a Halfmoon betta and cardinal tetras, both are mesmerizing to watch.
Great schooling from the cards and harlequins, and of course the beauty and personality of the bettas, either would be a good choice....although, if you get a betta, make sure you get him/her LAST to make sure they don't claim the entire tank.
If you go with the harlequins, look for the most chill betta you can find, they are "zippy" and can sometimes annoy my crowntaill IME...

Thanks half moon! Want to keep him nice n chilled so cardinals maybe better then.

I hav done a 3rd wc only 20% a time as results still very high.. Hopefully that should be it for a lil while now.. Hope it gets on track as nitrates through the roof!

Help!

Hi all again, another update.

Since all the water changes (aimed at reducing the high Trite and Trate levels) and upping Ammonia to 4ppm I have completely left the tank alone for about 36hrs.

I have now done Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate tests and my Ammonia just isn't going down :banghead: (photo below - sorry it blurry but colours are spot on)

40393-albums1839-picture12638.jpg

I have kept the tank way over 80f, I have put in crushed food 3 times or more and my ammonia still hasn't moved this is now day No. 14, stupid question but would opening the lid help for bacteria growth? do I just need to be more patient or is there something I can do?

:thanks:

Thanks...Its blimin hard to tell mate the colours are few shades off but i thought it was v close to 4ppm.. hav done a 20% wc to bring it down a tiny bit... I will see what is like tonight when I come back home. Thanks

Yeah, those API kits are not the easiest things to read, lol. It's fine to shoot for 3 and not worry about getting it exactly on 4ppm. If it's too high it can slow things down at the beginning.

Thanks Eco your help is really much appreciated!

Yeah I find them quite difficult esp with the ammonia to tell what level it is, I'll check it again tonight to make sure it has gone down, if not I have 2 bucket (I brought another one) filled up with water getting warm with aquasafe in them to do another wc.

Would it set the cycle back much if it was slightly over?

You'll be fine. If it's way too high I believe it can slow conversion...but I don't think in the range you had it. The higher levels are also more difficult to notice a change in, so even if it's dropping you might not as easily see it if it's dosed up too high as opposed to being in the 3-4 range.

brilliant thanks, I'm just so impatient, I'm never normally excited about my birthday but because I am getting fishies I am lol and although I have like 2 and half weeks until my birthday my impatience is wanting it to cycle all ready... worried it will not cycle in time... very immature but hey! might as well get excited about something!

I have now been told my local they do stock pygmy cories and cardinals but they are not on show at the moment... so thats a result.

I visited another shop and they said I could have 1 betta, 5 cardinals and 2 pygmies in a 10 gallon... wouldn't that be pushing it a bit? and wouldn't the pygmies prefer to be in a pack of 4 or more?

Back
Top Bottom