35gal tank in need of help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just a hobby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 35 gal freshwater tank with lots of fish in it, I'm looking trying to fix the murky water problem as well as find fish that will go with my current inhabitants, if anyone has input or advice to share it would be greatly appreciated

Current fish in tank
1 large angel plus 1 smaller angel
1 3 inch long oranda goldfish, blind (eyes got torn out by bichir however seems to be doing fine)
1 6 inch Senegal bichir
1 leopard Cory
1 small longfin bristlenose Pleco
And 3 small comet goldfish waiting to get eaten...

I have 2 filters going due to the large amount of fish, 25% water changes every week and I have a variety of food I mix together in a large cup which I dump in once a day including frozen bloodworms, tropical flakes, bottomfeeder pellets, betta food (used to have a betta), cucumber pieces, and occasionally some popcorn shrimp as a treat.
I need a large fish that won't get eaten by the bichir, but also won't eat the angel, anyone?

Just a hobby said:
I have a 35 gal freshwater tank with lots of fish in it, I'm looking trying to fix the murky water problem as well as find fish that will go with my current inhabitants, if anyone has input or advice to share it would be greatly appreciated

Current fish in tank
1 large angel plus 1 smaller angel
1 3 inch long oranda goldfish, blind (eyes got torn out by bichir however seems to be doing fine)
1 6 inch Senegal bichir
1 leopard Cory
1 small longfin bristlenose Pleco
And 3 small comet goldfish waiting to get eaten...

I have 2 filters going due to the large amount of fish, 25% water changes every week and I have a variety of food I mix together in a large cup which I dump in once a day including frozen bloodworms, tropical flakes, bottomfeeder pellets, betta food (used to have a betta), cucumber pieces, and occasionally some popcorn shrimp as a treat.
I need a large fish that won't get eaten by the bichir, but also won't eat the angel, anyone?

Personally i would up the cory school and choose between angelfish and gold fish. The goldie seems out of place... And the cory seems like it would be lonely

Personally I think you are really overstocked already and badly stocked, 25% water change won't even be enough for keeping Goldfish, 2 good filters or not. Seriously I would think about rehoming a lot of the fish and starting again. So much wrong I wouldn't know where to start, sorry man - but that's just my opinion and I don't won't to be damming on you.

Thank you for the honest answers, I know my tank is in the sh*ter and I need to restock. I net to a pet store today and they recommended I take it away from the window and keep the light off to solve the murky water, plus more changes..

I'm taking the goldfish out because the larger one is starting to get territorial and fight with the angels, I doubt any of them will bug the bichir. But i will decrease the food I feed them because of the water quality. So main question, any suggestions as to what fish would be a good replacement for the goldies, and not get eaten by the bichir would be greatly appreciated. As of now I have these fish in the tank:

1 lrg plus 1 sml angel
6inch Senegal bichir
1 Cory
And a long fin bristle nose that I forgot to incule earlier

Ps. I wish this was a bad joke haha

Unfortunately you have some major stocking issues.

The goldfish alone need a massive tank. The Comets can get too large for an aquarium and they should be in a pond. Just for the Oranda you'd need a 20-30 gal tank and they are messy so they require a lot of filtration. Plus they are coldwater fish and cannot live with tropical fish. So you'll either need to decide whether you want a coldwater or tropical tank. If you want coldwater, keep the goldies and get a second tank for everything else or return everything else. If you want a tropical, get a second tank for the goldies or rehome them.

The Birchir can get up to 10+"; he's already 6" which is too large for a 35 gal alone never mind with all the other fish.

The Cory should be in a group of at least 4, 6 is preferred but you cannot add more fish to this tank.

Your fish are likely already suffering from stunting (where they cannot grow to their capacity because the tank is too small for them) and probably water quality issues.
This really needs to be rememedied ASAP for the wellbeing of the fish.

Keep the oranda in the 35, rehome the comets (they need a pond) and get a second larger tank for the pleco, corys angel and birchir (if you keep the birchir you'll need at least a 60 gal, if you rehome the birchir you can get away with a 40 gal tank for the plecos, corys and angel).

If you can't get another tank you'll have to either decide to keep the oranda and rehome everythign else or keep the angel, pleco and cory and rehome everything else. There's really no other solution. In the meantime increase water changes: 50% every few days but this is just to keep water clean, it won't fix the incompatiability between coldwater and tropical fish and the stress they are feeling due to overcrowding and not being able to grow due to being cramped.

Like I said before, I'm getting rid of all goldfish, oranda to a friend, comets in a diff aquarium in the house. The remaining fish will stay in the 35 including the bichir, I have read many places that they do just fine in even 30 gal tanks, especially since I only have the one, so at the moment I have 1 bichir 2 angels a Cory and a Pleco, not at all overcrowded for a 35 to my knowledge. The tank is looking far cleaner than before and all fish are getting along/ eating well. Thank you for the suggestions. I may look at getting a few more Cory's to make the one a little less lonely.

Back
Top Bottom