36 Gallon Bowfront Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsbrawley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I believe I've finally settled on a stocking list for my heavily planted 36 gallon bowfront, but wanted to see if such a combination would present any issues.

10 Black Neon Tetra
10 Rummynose or Bloodfin Tetra
7 Sterbai Cories
1 Pearl Gourami
1 Bolivian Ram
1 Male Guppy
1 Swordtail

A few shrimp.

I think, when fully grown, this tank will be very much completely stocked--but the plants should help. I'm open to suggestions on different combinations.

Looks like a nice list overall - I'm a big fan of Rummynoses and bloodfins, as well as pearl gouramis.

I'm not sure about the lone male guppy, though. I just get this feeling he'll be out-competed for food, since most of the other fish are faster swimmers.

This probably varies from Guppy to Guppy but I recently had to give a Male Guppy away because he would sit there and pick on my swordtail "Sunny" who was mind his own business, picking algae off things. I've also read somewhere that other people have had the same problems with the two fish when they're both alone in the same tank.

IMG_1480558143.402074.jpg
The start of the tank. I've already gotten the Guppy, so maybe I'll try something besides the swordtail.

Looks good to me except I agree about the guppy, maybe consider setting up a little 5 gallon for him?
Also the shrimp will not thrive with any of those fish, but especially will be devoured by the Bolivian ram in a matter of minutes. They would also need a separate tank.

Compatibility with everything else should be fine. Keep in mind rummynose tend to be very sensitive so they should probably be added last.
Enjoy the new tank!

Watch the Ram with Cories. I know GBR can be NASTY with Cories. Don't know if Bolivians are as territorial ?

Rummynose , if you get them should be last. They need fully mature stable tanks and can be very sensitive the first few weeks. I think once established they do well.

Black Neons are super hardy.

Pearl Gouramis are a fav of mine as many of you know IMG_1480761377.669648.jpg

Glowlight Tetras are another undervalued fish. They look great in large groups with a dark background.

[emoji1360]

That's awesome list ... I am setting up mine 36 bowfront...I am thinking of gourami than Ram ... neon tetras... other than that for planted aquarium shall I get oto cat to work with algae

Also what is the good place to get some plants ... I am having Anubis nana from my previous aquarium... wanted get few more plants but LFS here are not having much available ... looking online I get confused

This site in the sales section
Let people know what you are looking for. Low light easy stuff is where I'd start.

You can join TPT for free, they have a ton of members selling plants...but you must mind your weather.

There are decent companies online.

I joined a club. All my plants are from my club barring 1 or 2.

Thanks everyone for the input, I've tried to adjust my list based on some comments. I'm thinking of getting 2 pit-bull plecos instead of the Bolivian Ram. Would there be any problem with this switch?

Would put the stocking at:

10 Black Neons
1 Guppy
7 Sterbia Cory
1 Pearl Gourami
(The above is currently in the tank)

10 Rummynose (will be added in about a month)
2 Pitbull Plecos (will be added as soon as I decide)
20-30 RCS
2 Assassin Snails

Sounds good to me. The Rummynose can be sensitive so make sure water is pristine before you add them. And test your water when you add fish...sometimes adding fish can cause a mini cycle or bump in Ammonia till the BB adjusts.

Back
Top Bottom