36 Gallon Freshwater stocking ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stargzr87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 36 gallon bow front tank that has been undergoing a 3 week fishless nitrogen cycle.

Now I am ready to start stocking it soon and need some advice on compatibility, & quantities of fish. The only other fish I have kept are guppies and mollies in a 10 gallon, so this will really be branching out for me.

This is what I was thinking:

Cory Catfish (3)
Swordtail Fish (1 male, 2 females)
Angelfish (2-3)
Kuhli Loaches (3-4)
Maybe some sort of tetra or other schooling fish?

Are they compatible? Would this be overstocked? What order should the fish be added and how many days/weeks in between?

I want to do this right since the first tank I had (the guppies and mollies) was such a pain! I didn't know about cycling the tank, lost a couple of fish in the first few days and had to change the water 1-2x a day to keep the ammonia under .5 (for several weeks!)

I am not sure if I have a good balance of top-middle-bottom feeders here.

I have a 36 gallon bow front tank that has been undergoing a 3 week fishless nitrogen cycle.

Now I am ready to start stocking it soon and need some advice on compatibility, & quantities of fish. The only other fish I have kept are guppies and mollies in a 10 gallon, so this will really be branching out for me.

This is what I was thinking:

Cory Catfish (3)
Swordtail Fish (1 male, 2 females)
Angelfish (2-3)
Kuhli Loaches (3-4)
Maybe some sort of tetra or other schooling fish?

Are they compatible? Would this be overstocked? What order should the fish be added and how many days/weeks in between?

I want to do this right since the first tank I had (the guppies and mollies) was such a pain! I didn't know about cycling the tank, lost a couple of fish in the first few days and had to change the water 1-2x a day to keep the ammonia under .5 (for several weeks!)

I am not sure if I have a good balance of top-middle-bottom feeders here.

I would get 2 angelfish, at least 4 of one species of cory, 4 kuhli loackes and maybe some larger tetras like black skirts.

would the swordtails not do well in there? My parents used to have them when I was a kid and I think they are kind of nostalgic for me.
Also would the cories and loaches be too much for the bottom of the tank?

Thanks for your reply!

would the swordtails not do well in there? My parents used to have them when I was a kid and I think they are kind of nostalgic for me.
Also would the cories and loaches be too much for the bottom of the tank?

Thanks for your reply!

The swordtails would be ok too. I'd do 2 or 3 swordtails. No, they won't be too much for the bottom of the tank.

Only thing I would change about your stock is up your Cory's to atleast 4.

Back
Top Bottom