36 Gallon stocking ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macz

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a new 36gal up from a 16 gal..what will be going in 36 is..1 veil Angel, 2 white skirt tetras, 2 juli Cory's, 1 bristle nose, 2 amano shrimp...maybe looking for a small school or add a couple more corys..maybe 1 pearl gourami20191226_220738.jpg

Your skirt tetras and corydoras both need to be bumped up to 6. Keep an eye on your skirt tetras to make sure they don't nip at the angel's long fins. The larger the school of skirt tetras the less likely they are to nip.
I'd also avoid adding the gourami with the angelfish.
Otherwise it sounds fine.

Just like Sara said skirts and corys need bumped up, and the skirts are very nippy but tend to be less so in the the presence of a good size school.

Thx...skirts dont bother Angel..they just bicker between each other...I was thinking maybe tiger barbs?

You will have the same problem with tiger barbs. They are super aggressive unless they are in a larger group. I'd stick to adding more skirt tetras. You can mix colours (black, white and glofish) and they should all school together.

I added 3 skirts lingfin 4 rummynose

Good that you got the skirts, they can be real jerks in too small of groups. rummynose are another schooling fish. 6 is considered a minimum for schooling fish and often they are noticeably more outgoing etc. in even bigger groups than that.

But there should be enough room in that tank to get a few more of each of your schooling fish that need bigger groups and I think you’ll find they’re more fun to watch when they’re comfortable.

Obviously give your tank a chance to settle before adding anything new but I would strongly recommend filling out the Cory and rummy schools.

Definitely hold off on the gourami. The angelfish May be peaceful now but they are still cichlids and it will likely get more aggressive as it gets bigger.

Ok thx..I like rummynose look great in schools..today kinda each end of tank..I guess new tank..I'll let them settle in.

Scratch the rummynose..Angel is picking them off..grrr

I might take Angel fish to my lfs..not fishs fault but I'd like to get more schooling fish..

Oh dear; yes if the angel is already big/aggressive enough to pick off tetras the gourami and rummys are definitely a no go and so are most small schooling fish. It will also pick off your shrimp if it hasn’t already (though so might the white skirts eventually)

The skirts get pretty big so they’ll probably be okay but nipping May be a problem. All in all if you’re not super attached to the angel returning it might make your tank a more peaceful place.

Would give you room to have plenty of cories and white skirts (to prevent bullying) and another schooling fish if you like.

Thx..I noticed skirts bother each other..saw 1 chase a rummynose but that's it..Angel is a nice fish but big..carcass of 1st rummynose shrimp picked to nothing I found in substrate..if I get a couple more rummynose get rid of the Angel..hmmm maybe platys odessa barbes..kinda want a oddball fish.

Ok went to lfs took Angel back..picked 5 blood fin tetras 1 flame gourami...Angelfish killed another rummynose lastnite..hopefully now it's gone everyone gets along

So what’s in the tank now, I’ve lost track. Did you give up on the rummy’s?

The dwarf gourami is a much more peaceful choice than the angel, that should help things calm down though you may still have bickering amongst tetras if the schools are small. Especially the skirts; they can be very aggressive for their size. The good news, if you like the look of variety, is that white skirts, black skirts and glo tetras (specifically the “tetras” not the barbs or danios) are all the same species and will shoal together. So if you’re still having aggression from the skirts you could add a few of a different color morph and still meet the fishes schooling needs!

Yea lfs had only 1 rummynose..I saw the blood find looked great..Flame Gourami however acting strange I thought it was gonna die quick swimming frantically upside down.constantly putting its mouth above water not really eating that was 2 days ago. Gourami finally calmed down but I'll see next few days if he starts eating.

So what is in the tank now?

Remember to keep testing to make sure adding fish hasn’t led to ammonia or nitrites in the water!

Ok 1 flame gourami. 2 ammano 1 rili shrimp
5 white skirts. 1 albino bristlenose
5 bloodfin tetras. 2 corydoras
2 rummynose. 1 Chinese algae eater
1 nerite snail

Also I bought emerald entree thought flame gourami will like it and shrimp..kinda messy sorta breakes up into little pieces..but fish like it and floats around and sinks so all fish get a chance to eat it

Back
Top Bottom