36 gallon stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbie1991

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I am new here and some what new to having an aquarium. I have my aquarium cycled and the water is testing right where it should be according to my local fish supply store.

My question is this. I have 2 separate log sections in my tank and have recently added the first pair of golden rams. I also have 4 algae eaters in the tank. The golden rams have made their home in the left side log section and seem to stay there most of the time. Would it be safe to add another pair of say Bolivian rams? I know the can have territory disputes, but with two "territories" in the tank, would this be advised?

If not what are some options for another "center piece" type fish. I was thinking of adding about 6 or so neons and maybe some bottoms feeders as well(not sure what kind would be best.

Thanks for your time!

Ok, first off, did you get those algae eaters from petsmart, or a similar chain? because if you did, you need to return them right now. Most of the algae eaters sold at chains are truly aggressive, and will destroy your tank, right down to the plants and fish. Get some corys instead (if you have soft substrate) or a red tailed black shark.

I am not sure about the rams, but the general plan with multiple territorial fish is get lots of inanimate objects/plants to disturb sight lines, or get a different kind of fish totally.

First time hearing this. I went with Otos I believe from petland (been to many different places and they have been in over a month). I got these do to a friend having them and they were great with his community and live plants. Is this wrong?

I have 2 log sections and then all live plants (9 or so).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your oto's should be fine. Great little fish.

As for your cichlid question, can you share the dimensions of your tank?

Your oto's should be fine. Great little fish.

As for your cichlid question, can you share the dimensions of your tank?[/

30.3" x 15.5" x 20.9"

They seem to keep stuff clean which is all I ask! Here are the dimensions of my tank, thanks!

30.3" x 15.5" x 20.9"
Ah...a little bowfront tank.

Bolivians are typically kept in groups as opposed to blue rams where a pair is more appropriate. They will not fight unless the rams start spawning in which case they will chase pretty much anything out of their territory.

That being said, I think that tank is not big enough for both. How about a pair of apistogramma if you would like more dwarf cichlids?

Haven't thought about those. I was just familiar with Bolivians due to friends' tanks. I will take a look at them for sure.

Are they a pair type or group?

Apistogramma can be done in a pair or a trio most commonly. In a tank that size with the rams I would do a pair.

There are many different species but A. cacatuoides aka the "Cockatoo Cichlid" is easy to keep and very attractive. It is also easy to find.

Will definitely try to find some in my area. Just looked at some pictures and they look great. Thanks!

Would it still be good to add some tetras and maybe some bottoms feeders?

The advice above is very wrong IMO. If you can't have a pair of bolivions with them, you definitely can't have a pair/trio of apistos. They all occupy the same area. The redtail shark was also bad advice. Next, if I was you, I would not do anymore bottom dwellers. The rams will already be all over the bottom. I would suggest getting like a school of neons and something that likes to hang at the top/middle like hatchets.

And just btw, golden rams are the same species as German blues (M. Ramerizi). Which are a very fragile fish. Please get your own test kit and keep nitrates under 20. Plants would be a good option.

Thanks,
Andrew

Back
Top Bottom