36 gallon tank stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EthanBeltramo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! I have finished cycling my 36 g bowfront. There are currently 5 harlequin rasboras in it. I have a betta and 2 platy in my ten gallon. I am wondering what fish go well in my tank, and possibly if I can add my ten g stock into my 36g. I also wanted a bigger prize fish to stand out in my tank. I wanted an anglefish but the pet store turned me down. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420903555.891114.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Lol, your petstore turned you down? One of the better LFS IMHO!

Anyways, with a 36 you can't get much big stuff, but your betta will grow out nicely in such a tank.

A pearl gourami wold look nice as the center piece, although the he wouldn't work with your betta.

Fishobsessed7

I would personally keep the Betta In the 10 so u can put a lot more in in the 36! U could put an angel, a nice school of about 8 tetras. (Just not neons or cardinals as they will get consumed by the angel) u can also have a nice bottom critter maybe Cory?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have 5 harlequin rasboras.
I either want an angel or gourami.
Probably getting cory cats. Maybe a BP. If I add gourami can I possibly add balloon Molly? Otherwise I will get some tetras. This is it so far. I plan on adding live plants and possibly some shrimp?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421204438.087928.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421204510.089019.jpg

I have 5 harlequin rasboras.
I either want an angel or gourami.
Probably getting cory cats. Maybe a BP. If I add gourami can I possibly add balloon Molly? Otherwise I will get some tetras. This is it so far. I plan on adding live plants and possibly some shrimp?View attachment 261019View attachment 261020

I think that could work possibly

Rockyofhockey

Won't the angel munch on the harlequin rasboras? Angels can get pretty big. I would have to agree with the leave the betta in the 10g so you can have a gourami. They are related and the betta and gourami will fight. Corsy would do nicely as a bottom dweller and there are plenty of varieties to choose from.

I am leaving the the betta int the ten gallon. I already have the hrs and want an angel. That is wat my LFS turned me down on. Are they right?

Bettas will pick on any fish with long flowing fins or anything real brightly colored like guppies for instance. I have had bettas bite the tentacles off of mystery snails. So yes they were correct to refuse you.

I would advise against putting an angel in a 36... personally I think the adults are just too big (tall) for anything short of a 55 gallon, where 75 is better, and tanks that size are better for their often-times territorial nature.

I assume by BP you mean blood parrot, which is another no-go. Too big for this size tank, reaching up to 9 inches in length.

If you want cichlids, Bolivian rams work very well in something this size, and are hardy and have tons of personality.

Pearl gouramis are also a good suggestion, though I've found them to be a little more sensitive to pH. They are a little shyer and will take up the top parts of your tank, but they are certainly beautiful and are a little more docile as far as gouramis go.

I definitely encourage you to try cories! They are a wonderful little fish that comes in so many different species (and sometimes multiple varieties within species), just remember to keep at least 5.

Instead of adding another tetra species, I would recommend adding more Harlequin rasboras, as they will only feel more comfortable the more individuals you add, and you might start seeing more natural schooling behaviours.

This is just a suggestion but based on what you want from your tanks, I think it could work out nicely!

10 Gallon
1x betta

36 Gallon
1x pearl gourami OR bolivian ram (or something similar in size/temperament)
10x Harlequin rasboras
5-7x corydoras (number is species-dependent)
3x Balloon mollies
2x platies (from your 10 gallon)

Bettas will pick on any fish with long flowing fins or anything real brightly colored like guppies for instance. I have had bettas bite the tentacles off of mystery snails. So yes they were correct to refuse you.

The betta is in the ten gallon and staying! Sorry I didn't clarify that
. What I meant is the pet store said no to an angel with hrs. Also by BP I meant bristle nose pleco.

And, how big are the Bolivian Rams

Also by BP I meant bristle nose pleco.

Gotcha! Sorry, too many appreviations, too little time. ;) A bristlenose would be a fine addition to a 36 gallon but be aware that as far as algae eaters go, they add a ton of bioload to your aquarium.

The betta is in the ten gallon and staying! Sorry I didn't clarify that
. What I meant is the pet store said no to an angel with hrs. Also by BP I meant bristle nose pleco.

If you want something interesting that will eat algae look into nerite snails, amano shrimp, and cherry shrimp. You could have a colony of cherries and a few amanos and nerites. It would be effective, low bioload, interesting, and eye catching for sure. With smaller tanks, you want smaller things so the tank looks bigger. Kinda like a zoomed out portion of an ecosystem. :)

Have a nerite but lays too many eggs. Will give it away

Their egg laying eventually slows down as they get larger in my experience. You could get some otos and shrimp instead of snails then.

Ok. However I do want a big prize fish like an angel. Any more advice.

Back
Top Bottom