37g stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Pleco

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I setup my 37g tank to find it leaking a week later, so now it's finally ready. I'm very interested in cichlids. I've been doing serious researching for weeks trying to figure out tank sizes but everyone has their own opinion on every forum. I saw on here threads about 29g and then 50g and up but not 37g. I don't exactly have a preference yet as to which continent, but the lfs's are mostly south african. Just wanted to know if 37g was big enough, and if so, what could I stock?

The water is naturally on the hard side here so that would not be a problem and I have more rocks than I know what to do with. So it's just a matter of what I can stock.

Mr.Pleco said:
I setup my 37g tank to find it leaking a week later, so now it's finally ready. I'm very interested in cichlids. I've been doing serious researching for weeks trying to figure out tank sizes but everyone has their own opinion on every forum. I saw on here threads about 29g and then 50g and up but not 37g. I don't exactly have a preference yet as to which continent, but the lfs's are mostly south african. Just wanted to know if 37g was big enough, and if so, what could I stock?

The water is naturally on the hard side here so that would not be a problem and I have more rocks than I know what to do with. So it's just a matter of what I can stock.

I dont think you have a tank big enough. Most need 50 + gallons. You can get dwarf cichlids.

You could keep many different cichlids in there but only a few. Dwarf cichlids as mentioned are one of the options, shellies, jewel cichlids, kribs, angelfish, GBRs, convicts, or firemouths. Depending on which cichlids you choose is the deciding factor on tankmates if you can even have them.

I've got four rams in a 37 gallon and they seem to be doing fine. They're housed with an opolite gourami, two small angelfish, 5 lamp eye tetra, and one whiskered catfish I got from a friend. Not sure of the type, but its cool looking. I know people are going to say thats too many fish for that tank but IMO as long as its not extremely small and has enough filtration to handle the fish, all you can do is try it out.

Well I have a 50g tank that has fish in it already which I plan on re-doing before I stock the 37g. But the 37 is currently empty so I'm thinking about moving the fish in my 50g into the 37g and then making the 50g for cichlids...

Not sure which way I should go yet

45115-albums2222-picture14721.jpg

37g

45115-albums2222-picture14720.jpg

50g

Back
Top Bottom