37G Stocking Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xCitrol

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, I have been browsing around the forums gaining some knowledge on the hobby and figured it was time to ask for some help:cool:.
I'm going to be purchasing a 37G Tank, general dimensions are going to be somewhere around 30L x 12W x 22H. (I know all about the nitrogen cycle and fish-less cycling so no regards to that please this is merely for stocking purposes.)I know fish like longer tanks but for the time being and my limited space this will have to suffice for now. Im going to be running a Eheim external canister filter on it G160 (2075) which is tad bit over filtering but im merely preparing for my next upgrade :D. The tank is going to have pool filter sand substrate possibly mixed with some eco complete substrate, its going to be semi planted(Swords, Hornwort, Java Moss and what ever else looks like it would fit in well) with a tall center piece of driftwood. Depending on the layout with the driftwood i was going to try and incorporate two cave structures on the back wall on either side. I have been looking around for different interesting fish and using Aqadvisor to get a general idea here is one list that i came up with,

3x YoYo Loaches (These guys look awesome and definitely would love to incorporate them into my tank.)
4x Peppered or Juli Cory Cats (Again really like them but i know my tank's bottom might not be big enough for the two types of bottom dwelling fish)
5x Tiger Barbs
5x Serpae Tetra's
2x Dwarf Gourami's

So i would really love to keep the loaches although if you think a different type of loach besides the yoyo it would work out a little better for my tank by all means give me some suggestions :). The Cory's where going to be albino cory cats which is definitely another option but would much rather see the peppered/Juli's in there. The Barbs, Tetra's, are all up for discussion and any fish that would be better suited for the tank then those guys is definitely worth mentioning. Cheers:popcorn:

Well I wouldn't reccomend yoyo loaches for your tank I think they need at least 48 inch tank I have 5 in my 55 gallon and they use all the space. I would say the juli cories are fine if you dont get loaches add 8 cories instead of 4. Also I wouldn't do the tiger barbs with dwarf gouramis because they will probably rip their fins to shreds. I would just get 1 dwarf gourami if i was you as they will fight quite a bit. Also I would up your serpae school to 10. So a final stocking of 1 dwarf gourami, 10 serpae tetras and 8 cories I would also add a dwarf pleco species ( clowns, bristlenose etc.) because I think they look cool and they would fit into this tank well.

Thanks for the suggestion, if I were to add a bristlenose pleco and remove the gourami would I be able to add a small school of at least 5 barbs or possibly another semi aggressive schooling fish?

Sorry to bump the thread but I have the option to get a 29Gal tank aposed to the 37G which would be about 6 inches longer and 6inches shorter height wise. Would that affect the stocking at all or would it be around the same? On aqadvsior i plugged in some of the fish that i mentioned and it said the 37G was overstocked but when I put in a 30G tank dimensions it was fine.. Fish I plugged in Where

10x Serpae tetra's
8x juli/peppered/albino Cory cats
7x Micky mouse platy ( have the fry currently)
5x Tiger Barbs
1x Bristlenose Pleco

Back
Top Bottom