38 us gal stocking ideas help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terri06

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys so i made the big mistake of getting a red tailed sharks who has now wiped out all my stock apart from 2 bronze corys and 2 plecos my son wants kissing gourami's would this b possible in my set up and what else could go in there

Your tank is too small for the red tail, which is why it's becoming so aggressive. A 55 gallon minimum is advised for them. If you upgraded you could get some kissing guoramis and be fine!

hi thanks for your reply . i realised that the red taled sharks was too small wen i read a thread on here the other day hes going back to my lfs as soon as i can get there. so is my set up to small for the gouramis then?

The gouramis would be fine, but the shark might rip them apart. Add them one at a time if you do, so you can see if it works out.

thanks for the help i will return the shark to the lfs as soon as possible then i will have a look around at some gouramis could anyone suggest any other fish to go in it my son likes really colourful active fish

How about guppies? They are super colorful, and the way they shake their tails while they swim accents their color. but they breed like rabbits, so either have another tank ready, or ask if your LFS will buy the fry back from you.

A pair of golden/Bolivian/German rams would be awesome too! Super colorful, but super sensitive. The bolivians and goldens are hardier then the German blues.

funny you should suggest guppies as thats what we had till the shark killed them all off ive got one or two of the fry left that are in hiding and dnt come out unless the shark is on the other side of the tank. would i be able to have angel fish or is that a bad idea

You could easily do an angel or two. But remember they are slow moving and will eat any fish that can fit into their mouths!

I would also recommend to get rid of the shark. They need at least a 55 gallon tank (Because they take a lot of territory).

I would also recommend bringing up your cory school to at least 6. <- you could do around 8-10 in a 30 gallon, but I would wait until your shark is out before adding any fish.

Do not do kissing gouramis. They can get around a Foot long and need at least a 55 gallon. You could do an alternative gourami though....like: Pearl gourami or Dwarf gouarmi.

And what type of plecos do you have? If they are common, take those guys back when you take the shark. They get to be 2 feet long and need a 125 gallon tank minimum! And people don't even recommend that! Bristle noses are better, and two of them would be fine.

thanks for your reply yes the shark is definately going back as soon i can get to the lfs i intend to get maybe 6 more corys as mine have so much personailty my son loves them what about a couple of angels or dwarf gouramis and maybe a school of fish any you could suggest

And what type of plecos do you have? If they are common, take those guys back when you take the shark. They get to be 2 feet long and need a 125 gallon tank minimum! And people don't even recommend that! Bristle noses are better, and two of them would be fine.

I wouldnt do two. One is enough to get rid of the algae. Besides, lets say they got 2 males....... <- This would result in them fighting (possibly getting their bristles tangled).

they seem ok at the moment but i will definately keep an eye on them there always together at the minute

If you do angels, maybe some cardinal tetras? I have black skirts, and I love them. But they can be kind of nippy. Not a good mix when it comes to slow moving fish with long fins. And thanks Ty for catching me on the plecos. I kind of blanked there for a sec.

Back
Top Bottom