4 months haven't changed filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dooboedoo12

Aquarium Advice Freak
So it has been 4 months and I have not changed my filter media. I think it's about time I do it

Can someone walk me through the process step by step so I don't kill my healthy bacteria please

Aka what I need to replace. What I don't. I have 2 ehiem canister filters

You shouldn't need to replace anything. The only time you need to replace filter media is when it is literally disintegrating. Assuming these are the small stone balls and you really really want to do something to them; you could try soaking 1/4 of a tray at a time in bleach to burn off all of the organic residue, rinsing it thoroughly, letting it dry for a few days, and then soaking it in water with a large dose of prime. But honestly even that is unnecessary.

Just wash your media in old tank water and it'll be fine.

You have layers of stuff in there. Does some of it look a bit like cocoa puffs? That's the biomedia and that is treated with care. You likely have some coarse sponge and fine sponge, too. Anything else in it? Maybe something resembling salad macaroni? That stuff is all mechanical filtration which catches most of the yuck. It's going to need a good rinsing.

There is a terrific video on you tube. That was how I learned. Be sure to clean the impeller assembly while you're in there.

I also learned from another eheim user to hook back up the intake first, make sure the out is closed, then open the intake. Hold a bucket under the out and open it. The filter will fill by siphon from the tank and the air escapes. Once water is running into your bucket, the filter is primed. Just close and reconnect the outlet tube. Make sure everything is in the open position before you plug it back in.

Back
Top Bottom