40 gal breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christopherlh84

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a empty 40 breeder trying to figure out how I wanna set it up and what type of fish to place in it. Your thoughts and suggestions please. I have an old fluval 303 canister that still works great I plan on using and a 150 watt heater and a stand that's about it so I will need to get plants and substrate also. I have thought about cichlids but I am kinda wanting to make it a planted tank.

A 40 B is a great sized tank; I have one too :)

As you mentioned, dwarf cichlids are one option ; some cichlids do ok with some plants but it would require some research to figure out which plants would survive them, if any.

You could also do a tropical community with a good variety of smaller fish. A large shoal of small fish like ember tetra, neon tetra, celestial pearl danio, etc look stunning in a large tank. Corys are an option for a bottom dweller, or a smaller type pleco like a bristlenose. Neon dwarf rainbows are pretty top-dwellers, or a smaller variety of rainbow like the spotted blue eye. You could do a centerpiece fish like a dwarf gourami. There are too many options to name, really. You could browse a site like liveaquaria and see what fish interest you and then do some research. You could also visit some local fish stores and see what they have available, write down the names of fish that interest you and then do some research.

Yeah I currently have a set of rams in my 10 gal was thinking if I didn't go planted doing a all male peacock cichlid tank with sand and rocks.

I don't think a group of peacocks would do well in a 40; a larger tank would be needed. A 10 gal is pretty tight for two rams; why not move the rams into the 40 and then stock around them?

I'd move the rams to the 40 gal

Then perhaps an angel for a center piece and 2 schools. Maybe something splashy like Boesemani Rainbows and perhaps some cherry barbs.. though I'm not certain if those would work with the angel. If not perhaps some Hatchets to give life to the upper area.

Thanks for the suggestions. I still have plenty for time to figure it out still got to cycle the tank so I will look into all options before jumping in

Back
Top Bottom