40 gal tank needs cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Froggy47041

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 40 gal tank with 1 pleco, 1 bala shark, 3 neon tetras, and 2 cory catfish in it.
My ammonia is .50
My nitrites is 0
My nitrates is .20
I just did a 50 % water change about 3 hrs ago

What is going on with this tank? I have been losing some fish and i know the ammonia is too high but with the fish in there i dont know what to do. Please help!!!! Im not the brightest lol so step by step please

Go on freshwater/brackish and go to stickies then find the thread that says "the (almost) complete guide to fish less cycling. You should be able to find the answers to all your questions there.

When we first got the tank i didnt know anything about cycling just thought u could just put them in there feed them and change their water when it looked cloudy but i guess i was wrong becuz i have lost fish

Yeah it needs to be for the health of your fish. For mine I dosed ammonia and it worked great I never lost a fish to bad parameter problems.

What are you testing your water with? Start by testing your tap and post the results. Then test your tank and these results as well. Next, invest in a bottle of Prime (if your not already using it).

Once we have an idea of where you stand in respect to your water, we can further advise but it basically comes down to lots of wcs. Please check out the link below as well and ask any questions!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Back
Top Bottom