40 gallon bowfront stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

green_hornet

Aquarium Advice Newbie
The dimensions are 92 cm Width, 41 cm Depth, 55 cm Height. The tank is fully cycled, the filter is a Fluval 205 canister filter, there's a bristlenose pleco in there already. I want a community tank stocked around tetras namely the black skirt,red eye and serpae tetra. I know they like being in groups of 6 or more, is there any other fish (besides the angelfish) I can put in with them. Or alternate stock lists would be greatly appreciated (Having 6 of all the three tetra species I metioned does seem to be a bit too much.)

I'm looking for a variety of color,size, and water levles but I seem to be attracted to the semi-aggresive fin-nippers :silly:

Stocking Idea #1
6 serpae tetra
6tiger barbs
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 red tailed shark

Stocking idea #2
6 blackskirt tetra
6 serpae tetra
1 bristlenose pleco
-8 in left over any fish ideas?

i would ditch the red tailed shark. they are fine as small fish but once they are adults they get really aggressive. what about a gourami?

I heard that tetras and barbs are know for nipping the fins of slow moving fish like gouramis, people say that if you keep 6 of them they fight amongst themselves but I'm not 100% convinced. Following the "1in per gallon" rule, which I know is highly disputed, I can hold about 5 more in of fish. Ideas?

The dimensions are 92 cm Width, 41 cm Depth, 55 cm Height. The tank is fully cycled, the filter is a Fluval 205 canister filter, there's a bristlenose pleco in there already. I want a community tank stocked around tetras namely the black skirt,red eye and serpae tetra. I know they like being in groups of 6 or more, is there any other fish (besides the angelfish) I can put in with them. Or alternate stock lists would be greatly appreciated (Having 6 of all the three tetra species I metioned does seem to be a bit too much.)

I would choose something lacking long fins. :)
DO NOT put angelfish in with blackshirt tetras. Blackshirts are pesky nippers. In fact if you look up most info on blackshirts they will tell you specifically not to put angelfish or bettas in :(.

They do seem to get along well with otos, mollies, swordtails and catfish.

Thank you for the advice but if I'm not going to put a gourami in there, I'm sure as **** not going to put an angelfish in there. The problem with livebearers is that they like salt in their tank. I have a bristlenose pleco already and he does a fine job keeping algae down so it'll be slim pickings for any bottom feeders who can't get an algae tablet. I'm going with my first idea but ditching the shark. (Feel pretty bad cuz I just joined and I'm already shooting people down.) :uzi:

(you can't say h e l l ? Seriously that word was the "h word")

GH,

Maybe you're already going with tetras and barbs, but if you do end up getting the barbs make sure your serpae tetras aren't the long-finned variety.

Tiger Barbs aren't terrible, but why tempt them?

A blue gourami could hold his own against any tetra. lol I would go with a blue gourami.

I have Tiger Barbs with an Angel Fish, but it is in a 55 gallon tank with tons of room and it is densely planted. I agree, they aren't terrible, but I wouldn't put them with anything that has long fins either, in that size tank. They aren't devils, but they sure aren't angels...

Blue Gourami...

I'm looking for a variety of color,size, and water levles but I seem to be attracted to the semi-aggresive fin-nippers :silly:

Nothing wrong with being attracted to the semi-aggressive types. (You should meet my unruly dog.) But IMO, you don't have to have 2-3 different types in the same tank to enjoy them. In fact, that may cause more headaches than you'd ever want. You could have a nice setup centered around a Rainbow Shark or centered around 7-9 Tiger Barbs. A larger school of mature barbs is really stunning, especially in a bowfront.

OR, now I've had both types of fish and I believe this would work fine....1 rainbow shark and 7 tiger barbs. The rainbow shark is territorial and needs more than 1" per gallon. He will *usually* mind his manners if given enough space, and is less likely to pester a school of semi-aggressive faster-movers anyway. Here are my suggestions:

1 Rainbow Shark
7 Tiger Barbs
(Don't be tempted to put a single other fish in here...)

9 Tiger Barbs
10 Zebra Danios

Doesn't sound like much, but you wouldn't be bored with either setup.

Thanks everyone but once again I've changed my mind :eyes:. I added 8 black skirt tetra and densly planted it. I have the following stocking idea in mind

#3 Medium community tank
8 Black Skirt Tetras (in the tank)
1 BN Pleco (in the tank)
6 Cherry Barb, rummy nose, or flame tetra
6 glowlight tetra,blindcave tetra (throwaway idea, wanted different colors)
1 pearl gourami (Or a gourami that in the 4in or less range be able to hold its own and not harass other inhabitants; seems like it will depend on the individual fish)

Any other ideas or suggestions and would fin nipping be a problem so far they have left the BN alone and I have only seen chases between themselves.

Back
Top Bottom