40 gallon cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neffbomb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a 40 gallon breeder tank and a magnum 350 filter. I pulled an aquaclear20 filter off a ten gallon tank I have running to seed the 40 gallon. I also threw in a plattie is this ok and about how long should it take to cycle? 2 weeks hopefully and I also have a nitrate test kit.

Welcome to AA!

Do you still have fish in your 10g? If so, you should really put the AC20 back.

I would put the platy in your 10g and do a fishless cycle on your 40B. It's faster and less work than cycling with fish. Get some pure ammonia, dose the tank to 2-4ppm, add a bit of filter media from your AC20, and wait.

Get the API Freshwater Master kit. It's got ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH tests. It's well worth the cost.

Two weeks might be a tad optimistic. I was able to fishless cycle a 40B with an AC110 filter in 7-10 days, but I had a bag of biomedia that had been seeding in my AC70 on an established 29g for several months.

I put another filter on the ten gallon. I'll go ahead and put the plattie back in the ten gallon and do a fishes cycle on the the 40 and continue to use the aquaclear 20 on the 40 since I have another filter running on the ten and get a master kit to test.

Back
Top Bottom