40 gallon planted tank help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pookawolf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I'm hoping y'all can give me some opinions on how to set up the first tank I've had in years. I'm really interested in people's opinions! The plan is to have a 40 gallon lightly planted tank (which may get more heavily planted depending on how the initial plants go). Stocking is going to be cories and a school of peaceful fish (zebra danios...). I've done some research but hoping to get some experienced opinions...on the whole set up.

Filter: I'm thinking either 2 Aqua Clear 50's or a Fluvel 305

substrate: 1.5-2" flourite (bottom layer) and 1.5-1" aquarium gravel

heater: 2-100 watt heaters (maybe eheim Jager brand) or (if I go with a canister filter) an inline heater

lighting: a 36" 2 bulb T5HO fixture or making my own using a 2 bulb T5 light from the hardware store and gutting the fixture that came with the tank

I want a set-up that will be relatively easy to maintain (weekly water changes,relatively easy to clean-out the filter...). I work full-time and have a baby so time is precious.

I look forward to feedback and advice!!

:welcome: to AA

Filter: I'm thinking either 2 Aqua Clear 50's or a Fluvel 305

I'd say go with the Fluval 305 with the bottom tray full of pure Poly-Fill for extra mechanical filtration, you can get at Walmart or a crafts store. The other two trays can both have BioMax for biological filtration. Once the tank is cycled and establishedThe Poly-fill would need to be changed every 2 weeks, but other than that, you could go a month between filter maintenance.

substrate: 1.5-2" flourite (bottom layer) and 1.5-1" aquarium gravel
This sounds fine ... as an alternative, you could do Pool Filter Sand as a bottom substrate for roots to hold onto and then do gravel.

The heater and lighting sound good to me .. maybe another member with more experience can give an opinion.

Thanks for the replies! I'm not sure if I was expecting it so soon. The filter sand would definitely be cheaper than one of the plant specific substrates. For some reason I'm hesitant about using sand in the tank...maybe that I'll need to use more ferts for the plants and I'm worried about getting sand all over the house when filling the tank. I think I've read that ecocomplete is easier to use than flourite (since you don't have to rinse it). I'll check it out.

I really like the look of the fluvel...not very enthusiastic about the price but I'd rather get good equipment now than have to replace stuff later. I like the idea of the poly-fill, it would be fun to have a new excuse to go to the craft/fabric store now that I have little time to sew. My hesitation is that I've heard canisters are harder to clean (the aqua clear I had on my 10 gallon was super easy).

Thanks again, I hope more people post their opinions :)

Back
Top Bottom