40 gallon setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

holimoli23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm just getting started. I was given almost everything I need to get going but i"m worried some of the equipment is inadequate. It's a tall tank (as tall as wide) I plan on doing a tropical tank that will be well stocked. (I have more than enough filter capacity for my tank so I can be a little liberal with stocking). So, the air pump I was given is rated for a 10 - 30 gallon tank and the heater is a 100 watt heater without an adjustment control. I have a decoration that has a air hose and I plan on using two bubble rods (whatever they're called). I am on somewhat of a budget so anywhere I can save a dollar is a good thing. I was thinking about maybe putting in a second heater with an adjustment instead of only one bigger one. I have two filters so two heaters could be near the two filters.

All advice is greatly appreciated. I'm sealing my tank today so I'm about as green as they come. I have done a lot of research so hopefully I'll have really nice pictures in the next couple months.

Fair winds and following seas

Number one you need more heating. I'd recommend an aqueon pro of of amazon as you can pick up a 250 watt for about 28 us dollars. Second the air pump really depends on how many things you have hooked up to it.

Gawang

I figured the heating was my main shortfall. It's a 100 watt heater and you recommended a 250 watt so could I just add a 150 or is the single 250 better IYO?

Also, do I need a specific type of bulb or will any flourescent work?

Is recommend just using the one, however two would not e bad. the only bad thing is I personally do not like the non adjustable heaters as they make me a little wary. In general flourescents are all good, but depending on if you want to keep high level light plants youll need a higher wattage.

Gawang

Thank you! The non adjustable had me a little uneasy as well but I wanted to make sure it was a reasonable concern.

Mumma

The link was very helpful! Thank you

Also the preset heaters don't give you the option to adjust your temperature to different fishes needs. Most are set to between 76-78 and many fish need higher than that. That would mean your 150 would be doing all the work and the 100 would be off the majority of the time.

Back
Top Bottom