40 gallon stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lokkzer

Aquarium Advice Regular
8 zebra danios.
7 cherry barbs
4 Cory catfish
4 otos

This is what I want for sure. Will all of these be compatible?
Can I add several bettas (1 male, 3 female) or will they be nipped. Or become aggressive with the others. If so what other bigger fish can I get a small number of as a small centerpiece fish? (angelfish, rams)

Please advise. Thank you

You have lots of choice. There is some Space left there.
Betta is always good but they need a low water mouvement and the barb could be bad for them.
If you do That, put a lot of cave to hide and put them before the barbs.
2 angels, or 3-4 gouramis sould be ok.
If you Want some other small fish put theme before one of those two territorial fish.
Betta and gouramis could be great with 2or3 type of rasboras plus the danios! All asian and fully compatible!!
Put the gouramis at the end.

Plants and loach could be a great addition in that tank!

just an opinion and 1 of the possible choice!!
Thank

Those are all pretty compatible. Cherry barbs are the least aggressive in the barb family and thus suitable for community tanks.

Just a note on the otos though: Please don't get them til your tank has been established and has a good colony of algae. They need it to survive and some do not eat supplements such as wafers of veggies.

As for other fish, why not a single opaline or dwarf gourami? As for 2-3, I wouldn't--dwarf gouramis especially can be aggressive with one another. I'd stick with one.

you shouldnt put gouramis or angels with bettas,gouramis and bettas are both labyrinth fish,and from the same family,so they would probably kill each other.angels have nice,long ,flowing fins which a betta would probably mistake for another betta and they would fight/kill.gouramis and angelfish are fine together.a female betta might be okay with them,but a male would almost certainly kill them.

Oh!!!
Same family does'nt fit together...
Betta and gouramis are great together!! I have one with my gouramis and there a great mix as they are the same family and from the same origine!!!

For a 40 gal. I would not go with dwarf because you have space enough for the regular one but if you Like it's a good choice to.

Second, Betta would not kill an angel... It's more dangerous for the Betta if you mix it with an angel!

Betta have the reputation to be bad for community but in fact they mix well with lots of fish!! Just ask me, i have a Betta in 12 of my 38 tanks...and they are all well!

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm gonna get several angelfish and wait for a pair. So with all of the fish in my original post and now a pair of angelfish, am I stocked or is there room for anything else?

Oh!!!
Same family does'nt fit together...
Betta and gouramis are great together!! I have one with my gouramis and there a great mix as they are the same family and from the same origine!!!

For a 40 gal. I would not go with dwarf because you have space enough for the regular one but if you Like it's a good choice to.

Second, Betta would not kill an angel... It's more dangerous for the Betta if you mix it with an angel!

Betta have the reputation to be bad for community but in fact they mix well with lots of fish!! Just ask me, i have a Betta in 12 of my 38 tanks...and they are all well!

i know bettas are great in some community tanks,but in others they will kill or be killed.is your betta(with the gouramis)a male or female?
it depends on the personality of the fish more than the species if they will work well,but bettas are more likely to attack fish that look like tehm than fish that dont.

I changed my mind. I'm gonna go with the zebra danios, cherry barbs, and a school of axelrod rasboras. Anyone see any problems or is it all good?

I would also like to get a single Bolivian Ram. Will it be ok alone? Either male or female? And if it's all ok, what order should I add my fish in so there's no fighting?

Back
Top Bottom